Author Topic: How to ad interface: Microsoft Remote Contol Receiver 1.0A Model 1040?  (Read 12887 times)

Electuur

• View Profile
I have a "Microsoft Remote Control Receiver 1.0A for Media Center PC with Windows, Model 1040"
http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=007d2e89-5db9-4ec3-9e95-678568b87c4d&crumb=catpage&catid=c250fb0a-1613-4550-983d-ba203f357698
On the back of the receiver are two jack plugs numbered 1 and 2 to which I can connect IR leds to control AV devices.

I would like to add this device to my LinuxMCE system.
Is this already possible?
I don't know what to enter in all the fields available when adding this interface.
Any help would be appreciated.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
from what i know, it works.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Electuur

• View Profile
Does it? You don’t tell the source of your knowledge.

If I select Interfaces, ad device.
Manufacturer: “Microsoft”
Device category: “Infrared Interface < Interfaces”
and press the “Apply filter” button,
there are no templates to select from.

If I select:
Device category: “Interfaces”
and press the “Apply filter” button,
I get a list of device templates, but none that resembles the MS transmitter.

So my conclusion is that nobody is using the MS IR transmitter.

I tried to define the interface myself, but I haven’t found a description/meaning of all the fields you have to fill in to define the device. The “Help” buttons on the admin screens don’t work. Until now I haven’t found a description of the meaning of these fields. So any help would be nice.

Greetings,
         Electuur

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Web admin>Media Directors>Add remote
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Electuur

• View Profile
Does that also add the functionality of the IR transmitters that can be connected to the MS IR receiver.
My intention is not to add an Orbiter (a remote controller) to the system,
but to add an interface to the (hybid) core to control my TV and UPC (digital) receiver.

Gr. Electuur

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
from what i know, there is a template for IR codes of this kind of receiver. regarding the second problem you can add the remote controller only to hybrid. and, from what i read, this remote controller should work very well with mythtv.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Electuur

• View Profile
Hello sharlee_angelo,

Thanks for you fast responses and help. I am not sure if you understand my problem.
You talk about receiver, remote and mythTV. I am talking about IR interface, and IR transmitters.

The MS package contains aside the Remote and USB Receiver/Transmitter, two IR transmitters which you can connect to the IR receiver/transmitter, which is connected to the USB interface off the Media Director. The IR transmitters can be placed on the IR receivers of your a/v equipment. By sending USB commands to the MS IR receiver/transmitter, you can control the a/v equipment. This resembles the situation with a gc100, only communication takes place by USB instead of the network.

If this isn’t possible, I want to connect a IR led to the serial port as described in the LIRC project.

From what I read in the documentation I have to add interfaces before I can add a/v equipment. Is this correct?

Gr. Electuur

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
From what I read in the documentation I have to add interfaces before I can add a/v equipment. Is this correct?

Yes, but not necessarily.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Juliet Smith

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
To use your IR receiver/transmitter you would need to create a new template for your interface. However, this requires some programming skills. You have to write a piece of code to make it work.
Anyway, in order to add a new template, you have to select the manufacturer and the device category and then to click on 'Add device template'. (You use 'Pick device template'  only when the template is already created and you only want to add the device).
You could probably take the USB-UIRT as an example on what to fill in all the fields (add a USb-UIRT then go to its details).

Skaught

• First post!
    • View Profile
Re: How to ad interface: Microsoft Remote Contol Receiver 1.0A Model 1040?
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 07:42:18 am »
To use your IR receiver/transmitter you would need to create a new template for your interface. However, this requires some programming skills. You have to write a piece of code to make it work.
Anyway, in order to add a new template, you have to select the manufacturer and the device category and then to click on 'Add device template'. (You use 'Pick device template'  only when the template is already created and you only want to add the device).
You could probably take the USB-UIRT as an example on what to fill in all the fields (add a USb-UIRT then go to its details).

How does one do that?  I am just an end user of Linux, never used it before.  I am trying to switch from windows MCE using my exisisting hardware.

This is the worlds most common IR transmitter.  Does this mean LinuxMCE does not natively support it?