Author Topic: Diskless Boot Image  (Read 6837 times)

Shiner_Man

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Diskless Boot Image
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:56:05 pm »
I'm wondering how the diskless boot image is created and where it is stored.  I'm assuming that it's a linux kernel image that is sent to the media director when it boots to the network.  Is this true?

I ask because I am wondering if it's possible to create a custom kernel for the diskless media directors to support specific hardware.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Diskless Boot Image
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 12:49:38 pm »
there is a directory, /tftpboot. in this directory you will find an directory called default, where are the initrd image and the kernel.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 02:08:01 am »
Hi,

In the PlutoHome distribution there is built in checks in some of the scripts that enforce the same Kernel version on the Core and the MDs. I am not sure if this has been removed for linuxMCE or not, but it is something to look out for.

You will have to be carefule that setup scripts don't overwrite any settings changes you manually make.

If you just need a couple of config changes to the kernel, I would recommend getting the sources from the linuxMCE repository and changing that and rebuilding, rather than getting a fresh set of kernel sources.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Darren

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 01:31:10 pm »
@Shiner_Man
i would recommend, however, to build a custom kernel with patches for supporting specific hardware.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Shiner_Man

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 05:43:49 pm »
In the PlutoHome distribution there is built in checks in some of the scripts that enforce the same Kernel version on the Core and the MDs. I am not sure if this has been removed for linuxMCE or not, but it is something to look out for.

Well I'm not sure if that is the case.  I know the kernel on the core machine has the module I need for the media director (forcedeth).  If the Core must have the same kernel as the MD, then my media director should boot up and load the forcedeth module unless the module is there but it is just not loading for some reason.