Author Topic: Flickr simplicity screensaver on a custom picture folder  (Read 8013 times)

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Flickr simplicity screensaver on a custom picture folder
« on: May 22, 2018, 05:18:18 pm »
Hi,

I found and old post (https://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7498.msg47901#msg47901) of this same request, Is there a way to do it? for mortals like me tha do not handle coding at all?.
I like Flickr pictures, they are nice, but I like mine more!.  Im not storing my pictures on lmce, I have them on a nas share point (synology nas and use DS Photos and also the new moments to upload in a snap pictures from the Phone, which is now days the biggest source of family pictures!).  I would like to just add that share point, without lmce structure (public to all) and make mce to pick random picture just like Flickr within any subfolder, but it would be nice if it can be done from the admin web and a single check or radio button!.  Im sure more users would find this option cool.   I have not added that share folder to mce because if I do it then it will add all the movies also and add them to the list of media available and makes it hard to nicely find movies/tv shows/etc, also is will disturb the media list cosmos harmony! hahahahahaa.. sound like some OCD there!!! ;D.  I dont want pictures and videos taken to be mixed the media list,  Does this makes sense?

Cheers,

T

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Flickr simplicity screensaver on a custom picture folder
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 06:01:41 pm »
If you add a share point with the LMCE directory structure, and only have the picture branch filled, all the other media files would be ignored. Works nicely for me.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 06:28:59 pm »
I would add the share as public and block update media from scanning the folders you don't want scanned. 

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:23:28 am »
If you add a share point with the LMCE directory structure, and only have the picture branch filled, all the other media files would be ignored. Works nicely for me.
Thanks Posde for your reply!!. but if I do this, I would need to change the structure of the picture folder as it is, would need to move the pictures to the picture file, and also, would need to select the pictures every time I upload a new one.  I was thinking that it would be nice to have a seamless way to add pictures to a sharepoint  and lmce picks them up randomly, just like it does on Flickr.
What do you mean to fill picture branch only?

I would add the share as public and block update media from scanning the folders you don't want scanned. 
  Phenigma, how can you block selective folders?, sounds interesting.  But In my case, a folder is a date, and everything is mixed up on that date, movies taken and pictures), so how would LMCE know to act only on pictures and discard videos?.

What I do right now is to use on family days is to use the PhotoStation and it would play random pics and videos using the firefox.  But Flickr on mce is more nice, clean.

Thanks again for the info!!!..

T

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 06:31:00 am »
[..]
What do you mean to fill picture branch only?

When you specify a storage space to have the LinuxMCE structure, LinuxMCE creates the directories that it wants to see, ie. public/data/video,audio,pictures etc. - In your case, you would create a softlink from the picture subdirectory to your existing photo directory. That way, you have access to your photos in LinuxMCE, without cluttering LinuxMCE with additional media files you have laying around outside of the LinuxMCE structure.

And instead of adding all files to the screensaver which is rarely wanted, you'd just the select the ones you want in the photo part of web admin.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 06:44:31 am »
The specific way your wanting to interact is something I've wanted as well but not possible currently the way lmce deals with media.  Posde's solution is the best at the moment, put a copy of each picture you want shown in the public structure that lmce would create on your new share.  Or copy those pics to the picture folder on the core.  There is no way to differentiate media when ignoring a folder tree.  All or nothing is how it works when lmce indexes a share (depending on public/private structure on setup). 

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 09:22:40 am »
I don't think there is a need to create a copy. Mount it as lmce share, put a softlink to the real pictures, and UpdateMedia should find them, add them to the list, and give you the option to select them from web admin.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:13:40 am »
Thanks posde and phenigma Ill give it a try and keep looking for creative ways to improve.

Cheers,

T