General > Feature requests & roadmap

Alexa and amazon echo skill

(1/8) > >>

garagevibes:
Hi all,

The amazon echo has final made it way to the UK and I'm excited to get my hands on one, just wondering if anyone had looked in to adding a Linuxmce skill to control basic home automation like lights and heating ect, it seems like someone has created a skill for our slightly common sister vera but it annoyingly connects via there in house web interface so even though the code has familiar terminology like Device Ids ect it just wont simply port over.

the amazon alexa system looks simple enough at creating a skill using node.js the issue i have is just trying to think of the best way of implementing a secure external api type interface so that the external amazon alexa voice service can send and receive commands to our internal DCErouter.

Just thought id put it out there and see if anyone had looked into this or had any ideas of the best way of implementing a solution.

cheers

Marie.O:
golgoj4 has been looking into it. Maybe he can chime in.

golgoj4:

--- Quote from: garagevibes on October 14, 2016, 05:37:36 pm ---Hi all,

The amazon echo has final made it way to the UK and I'm excited to get my hands on one, just wondering if anyone had looked in to adding a Linuxmce skill to control basic home automation like lights and heating ect, it seems like someone has created a skill for our slightly common sister vera but it annoyingly connects via there in house web interface so even though the code has familiar terminology like Device Ids ect it just wont simply port over.

the amazon alexa system looks simple enough at creating a skill using node.js the issue i have is just trying to think of the best way of implementing a secure external api type interface so that the external amazon alexa voice service can send and receive commands to our internal DCErouter.

Just thought id put it out there and see if anyone had looked into this or had any ideas of the best way of implementing a solution.

cheers

--- End quote ---

Whats your development skillset?
I was looking into creating some interfaces for this, but it needs to be a 2 part system.

* Simple http interface for doing the initial security handshake. google has some nice code for doing this, i did it successfully in my tests. It would need to be handled per cloud service: Alexa, Smartthings, google, iftt, etc
* A proper http api exposing proper endpoints for these things to communicate.
i have been working on work and an xbmc device so ive been busy. but if you are serious, we can attack this problem and get something basic like light control going.

-lb

garagevibes:
Hey sorry for the delay had a few family issues, my echo arrived yesterday though so really keen to have a go at setting this up, my skill set is in web design really so I'm sure i could help at least with the http interface and designing of the api. my main struggle would probably be with the actual connecting up to the dcerouter, how to announce available devices ect.

You mentioned you found some nice code from google that would handle this don't suppose you could send a link  and ill see if I can get this intergraded as a starting point maybe?

cheers

phenigma:
I currently have Alexa running on an RPi and I am also interested in connecting with LMCE.  Any existing info people have would be great to share here.  I'm still trying to figure out how we would interface with it.  As far as I can tell once we have a secure authentication that happens automatically I think we simply need to create a 'skill' for Alexa to interface to LMCE, and then an associated LMCE device/plugin to handle interaction.

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version