Author Topic: 1080i over HDMI with Intel Graphics  (Read 3204 times)

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
1080i over HDMI with Intel Graphics
« on: August 05, 2016, 03:26:22 am »

My 14.04 installation seems to be working fine in all respects on my lcd monitor over the DVI port. The motherboard is an ASUS P8 H67-M LE with onboard intel graphics.

I am now trying to get the system to display 1080i so that I can use it with my old Sony CRT television, with component inputs and an HDMI to component converter. This configuration used to work well on my old 8.10 setup by simply adding the right modeling to xorg.conf and disabling the AVwizard overwrite. I previously had an Nvidia video card. Now, I am trying to use the onboard Intel graphics without success.

It seems that much has changed with the introduction of digital video standards. I expect that EDID may be somehow superseding what I have in xorg.conf. Another theory is the need to pass i915.modeset=0, and perhaps other parameters in grub to force the right timings. In any event, features designed to make digital video connections easier have complicated setup for analog monitors.

Many will say that the smart thing is to just get a new TV, which I may do. One would cost less than my time but I still prefer the CRT picture. Plus, my Sony is a 40 inch KV-40700XBR and I am reluctant to move the 300 pound monster out of my apartment!

Please help.

Thanks,

CDM

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: 1080i over HDMI with Intel Graphics
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 05:34:31 pm »
Modelines in xorg.conf *should* override edid information.  iirc we explicity turn off edid in xorg.conf.  I run used to run my 1080i plasma at 720p due to this issue, with an rpi there I don't have that problem atm.

J.

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 12:55:18 am »

I have had some success this evening, with xrandr from the command line. I used the following to get my TV to sync at 1080i:

> xrandr --newmode "1920x1080i" 74.25 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 Interlace +Hsync +Vsync
> xrandr --addmode HDMI2 1920x1080i
> xrandr --output HDMI2 --mode 1920x1080i

At least I know now that this will work. Now I just need to figure out how to make the mode stick when I reboot. I'll continue to work with xorg.conf

CDM

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:17:49 am »
I had success today, using xorg.conf. I did two things. First I specified the Intel driver in the Device section. This yielded a lot of useful information about valid modes for the various outputs on my motherboard in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Then, I explicitly associated the correct output with the default Screen. I think that these associations are probably more important now that virtually all cards have multiple outputs and  multi-head support is built into X.

Here are the Device, Monitor and Screen sections:

Code: [Select]
Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-                                                                                                                                                                 
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",                                                                                                                                       
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"                                                                                                                                                   
        ### [arg]: arg optional                                                                                                                                                                             
        #Option         "NoAccel"                               # [<bool>]                                                                                                                                 
        #Option         "SWcursor"                              # [<bool>]                                                                                                                                 
        #Option         "ColorKey"                              # <i>                                                                                                                                       
        #Option         "CacheLines"                    # <i>                                                                                                                                               
        #Option         "Dac6Bit"                               # [<bool>]                                                                                                                                 
        #Option         "DRI"                                   # [<bool>]                                                                                                                                 
        #Option         "NoDDC"                                 # [<bool>]                                                                                                                                 
        #Option         "ShowCache"                             # [<bool>]                                                                                                                                 
        #Option         "XvMCSurfaces"                  # <i>                                                                                                                                               
        Identifier      "Card0"
        Driver          "intel"
        VendorName      "Unknown Vendor Name"
        BoardName       "Unknown Board Name"
        Option          "LinearAlloc"           "16384"
        #BusID          "PCI:0:2:0"                                                                                                                                                                         
#       Option          "NoDDC"                         "true"                                                                                                                                             
        Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "true"
        Option "renderAccel" "true"
        Option "NoDDCValue"
        Option "UseEDID" "false"
        Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "false"
        Option "NoLogo" "true"
        Option "NoBandWidthTest" "true"
        Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowInterlacedModes, AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoEdidModes"
        Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
        Option "UseEvents" "true"
        Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
        Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
        Option "monitor-HDMI2" "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor0"
        VendorName      "Unknown Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName       "Unknown Monitor Model"
        Modeline        "1920x1080i"     74.25 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 Interlace +hsync +vsync
        HorizSync       15-75
        VertRefresh     23-62
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "Card0"
        Monitor         "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Modes           "1920x1080i"
                Virtual         1920 1080
        EndSubSection
        Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "true"
        Option "renderAccel" "true"
        Option "NoDDCValue"
        Option "UseEDID" "false"
        Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "false"
        Option "NoLogo" "true"
        Option "NoBandWidthTest" "true"
        Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowInterlacedModes, AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoEdidModes"
        Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
        Option "UseEvents" "true"
        Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
        Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
        Option  "TVStandard"    "HD1080i"
EndSection

I am on to the next problem, however. See my next post, on video quality and sound over HDMI.

Thanks to Phenegma for the response on this one.

CDM