Author Topic: Denon Receiver Control over Ethernet  (Read 14600 times)

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Denon Receiver Control over Ethernet
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 02:05:15 am »

Got it. I will report back this weekend. Thanks Posde.

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 01:19:06 am »

I tried to manually install my Denon receiver this weekend, so far without success. I added the device to my core manually and configured it using the setup wizard. All of the parameters that I selected appear in the device instance in WebAdmin.

Trying to troubleshoot, I can send commands from WebAdmin by going to Devices -> AV Equipment and selecting AV Properties for the device instance. All of the commands shown in the device template appear, with the content fields blank. Clicking on "Test Code" for any command yields the error: "ERROR: Specified command had empty content." Putting in the ASCII commands from the Denon manual, a pop up appears that says: The command was sent to device #1" but nothing happens.

I have two theories:

1. No codes are inherited from the device template.
2. The SendMessage command sent to the router is not finding the serial port for some reason.

Again, the following works every time, power cycling the device:

Code: [Select]

/usr/pluto/bin/TestSerialPort -p /dev/ttyS5 -P N81 -b 9600 -t "PWSTANDBY\r\s500mPWON\r" -i 1 -s "MON\r"

Poking around in DCRRouter.log, there are messages related to my receiver instance. I think that these are in response to my attempts to send commands from WebAdmin but I don't really know what they mean. Here are a few lines:

08      09/04/16 18:10:23.561           Received Message from 20 (^[[36;1mOnScreen Orbiter / Living Room/Family Room^[[0m) to 66 (^[[36;1mAVC-A1SRA (RS232) / Living Room/Family Room^[[0m), type 1 id 193 \
Command:^[[35;1mOff^[[0m, retry none, parameters: <0xb60d4b40>
08      09/04/16 18:10:23.561           Received Message from 20 (^[[36;1mOnScreen Orbiter / Living Room/Family Room^[[0m) to 66 (^[[36;1mAVC-A1SRA (RS232) / Living Room/Family Room^[[0m), type 1 id 193 \
Command:^[[35;1mOff^[[0m, retry none, parameters: <0xb60d4b40>
05      09/04/16 18:10:23.561           ^[[33;1mThe target device 19 (routed to 19) has not registered.^[[0m <0xb60d4b40>

Clues would be welcome. If I need to reinstall the device, or my entire installation, in order to start clean I would be happy to do so.

Thanks,

CDM

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Denon Receiver Control over Ethernet (& RS-232)
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 05:26:01 am »
Progress. The command data needs to be in Ruby format. The off command, for example is:<$"PWSTANDBY\r"$>. I added this to the device template (#71) by opening the template and then "Edit Ruby Codes". After entering the command, the "send command to device" option works for the commands that I have populated. I also added the serial port of my instance, /dev/ttyS5,  to the Default Value fiels for the COM Port. So, two changes to the device template. Should this be necessary?

This means that the messages are getting to the serial port through the router. Phew.

It seems that the codes are missing from the device template in the latest distribution.

CDM
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:27:49 am by cafedumonde »

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 02:19:14 am »

Lots of progress. Now that I can send commands to the receiver, I am populating the template. The only glitch has to do with the MUTE command. The protocol in the manuals that I have, for the 2310 and 3312, both provide discrete commands for this function, that is, separate commands for on and off. The device template however is built for a toggle command. This is consistent with button on the remote, and I also have a pronto code for this function. I see four solutions:

1: Change the template to accommodate discrete RS-232 commands, though this does not seem possible with the command options in WebAdmin.

2. Find a way to send the pronto code over RS-232.

3. Find an RS232  toggle command for mute that is not in the manuals that I have.

4. Embed an if statement in the ruby code for the command that queries the mute status using <$"MU?\n"$> and then sends the correct discrete command.

If anyone has a Denon receiver working with RS-232 I would be interested to know what you have done for MUTE.

Thanks,

CDM

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 02:25:56 am »
Why are you building a new denon template?  We have working serial and Ethernet templates. 

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 03:12:58 am »

See my posting just prior to the last. The codes are not populated in my installation. I think this is why I originally believed that RS-232 was not working. No data was being sent.

I am not saying that the populated template isn't in the repo. Its just that it's not coming over when I run the install script, and I have installed twice in the past month. I did so the second time because my myth database password somehow got screwed up for mythfilldatabase.

Do you have a toggle MUTE ruby/RS232 command?

CDM

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 03:48:23 am »
Rather than rebuilding the template it should be determined why it's not retrieving.

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 04:18:17 am »

I am happy to dig. Could you suggest commands to query the database directly to see if the data is there? Perhaps for a few devices?

CDM

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 04:53:16 am »
Any time you edit a DT and choose to edit ruby codes the associated commands are fetched from the schema server.  IR codes are also updated when certain packages are updated.  I forget which ones at the moment.  Try a few dts and see if you get codes for any of them

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 01:33:42 pm »
I just checked if code retrieval is working by adding a Pioneer Kuro Plasma to my system. All data was received. Maybe rule #1 wasn't followed ;)

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 02:02:34 am »

Posde,

I followed the directions on the wiki here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_1404

Step #1 says: "Install Trusty Tahr desktop and update it. (download Kubuntu 14.04 desktop release from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/14.04/release/kubuntu-14.04-desktop-i386.iso"

The update instructions that I followed are at the bottom of the wiki page, specifically:

sudo -i
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

Please confirm. The install is functional in all other regards. Clearly some device templates are working fine, like the USB-UIRT. Checking device #1779, for Pioneer Plasmas, the device template shows that no commands are implemented in WebAdmin. I went to Developers -> Device Templates, selected 1779, and clicked on "Edit Ruby Codes." Do you see something different?

I am so sorry to be a noob. It seems I am taking a difficult path to getting my install up but I *am* getting there and learning a lot. LMCE is awesome. Thanks to Phenigma and Posde for patient guidance.

CDM

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 11:15:03 am »
The way you install looks good.

With rule #1 I only mean being patient. The download of the "IR" codes from schema to your system takes a while. During this time, all you see is: Waiting for data. If you cancel that, no codes will be transferred.

cafedumonde

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 12:27:55 am »
Does the download happen during the setup wizard? I thought that I waited until the notification window disappeared but I will wait longer next time.

Is there a script for this that I can trigger?

CDM

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 12:42:39 am »
Well, I tried adding the Pioneer kuro and I'm not getting any codes here.  Shit.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 06:40:48 am »
Very strange. I'll dig into it.