Author Topic: Newb Install - What now?  (Read 2409 times)

shoebox

• First post!
    • View Profile
Newb Install - What now?
« on: February 17, 2016, 07:31:56 am »
Hello!

This is my first forum post, ever. I hope this works!!

I've been saturated with terminals and web servers for the last 6+ months or so after I got my raspberry pii. I installed freepbx (raspbx), added a usb wlan0, added a touch screen, and have been playing around with php and the web gui.

A friend mentioned I should checkout LinuxMCE. I downloaded and burned the image to a DVD. Recently, I installed it on my old Compaq x86 (which was running elastix 2.5). After the "wizard", and not having anything PNP, I realized I have no idea what I'm doing.

Here's what I have on the network:

IP Camera
SIP audio/relay module
Smart TV
Samsung Cable box
IP video door phone
A bunch of android mobile devices
a SIP Trunk via Nextiva Communications

So, now I will check the compatible hardware lists and try to figure out what I have that will work without too much experience with Linux.

Should I cancel my Nextiva SIP trunk and get a BroadVoice account? I guess I can start by adding the IP camera and the SIP module or IP video phone.... I was hoping to get a little shove in the right direction.

Sleepless in4e59,
Shoebox

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Newb Install - What now?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 04:40:53 pm »
The first question is do you have 2 network cards in the core machine?

J.

thor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 05:49:27 pm »
One of the best ways I have found in understanding what kind of hardware works in LMCE is by looking at the user pages in the wiki. Just click on phenigma's user setup example link above.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:08:48 pm »
We don't really have a modern hardware compatibility list, it's more of a grouping of un-organized pages of things people have tried in the past.  I keep my user page fairly up to date, keep in mind I do a lot of testing so there are items there that are for testing only, usually indicated that way.

J.