Author Topic: Running on X86, ARMHF or AMD64 hardware - it is possible.  (Read 3333 times)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Running on X86, ARMHF or AMD64 hardware - it is possible.
« on: November 12, 2015, 11:11:39 pm »
Hey everyone,

There has been lots of great things happening in the world of ARM devices recently and I wanted to point everyone to an 'example' setup of LinuxMCE.  This system uses a low-power odroid xu4 armhf core running ubuntu trusty and multiple low-power RPI2 devices as media directors.  You will also notice there is a 64-bit ubuntu trusty media director running in this system.  This example setup is the production system in my house.

Have a look at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Phenigma and you can see a brief overview of the setup.

While this type of configuration is still not 'officially' supported I wanted to share with people some of the hardware platform capabilties that I have been working on.  I now know of 2 persons running cores on an odroid xu4 so far, and we're both happy.  Thanks to merk for donating the xu4 for development.

I'm happy to answer questions from anyone about my system.

Happy LMCE'ing!

J.

cfernandes

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • my company web site
Re: Running on X86, ARMHF or AMD64 hardware - it is possible.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 11:51:21 am »
Hey ,

one  question ,  i have  some  banana pi  with Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 .

is possible  to install a disked md  like  joggler

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 02:36:17 pm »
is possible  to install a disked md  like  joggler

The answer to that is yes, but no.  Yes the entire LMCE stack will run on the BPi (I have even installed and run a Core on the BPi and RPi2, not that I recommend that).  However there is no hardware video acceleration at the moment.  There has been some effort to implement a vdpau style acceleration on the BPi but so far I have only seen it function in MPlayer and then only for certain content.

If you're simply looking for UI1 Orbiter control then yes.  If you want HD video playback then not at this time.  I will admit that I have not looked in the last 4 months to see what has developed in that time.  Hopefully in time the vdpau interface will mature and be usable through Xine player.

There are currently no instructions posted anywhere on how to do this so find me in irc and I can help you through testing if you want.

J.

PS.  I have questions regarding the asterisk changes you've suggested in a recent ticket.  I don't want to hijack this thread for that but if you could find me in irc so we can talk I'd really appreciate it.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 12:39:10 pm »
Hi phenigma,

Now that the summer is over I'm going back to my Cubox project.

I'm trying to figure out the graphics on this device and I am looking at some Vivante stuff.

The biggest thing is trying to wrap my head around this again - more notes please!.

Thanks for all the effort you have been putting into LMCE.

Cheers

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 11:15:04 pm »
Here's some basic instructions.  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Install_on_armhf  I will leave it to others to fill in the blanks on the wiki as people experiment.

J.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:19:37 pm by phenigma »