Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Generic Serial Device  (Read 10865 times)

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Raspberry Pi Generic Serial Device
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 03:00:33 pm »
Thanks for the info on stopping the media. You are correct I don'the use the orbiter. The GSD device starts up fine. The only issue was I needed to install a new temp child device to get the RPI to download the needed software to run the devices previously created prior to the update. Then I deleted the temp device. Not a big issue.

I have a couple of relay controllers that I made that control irrigation out at the gardens and green house. They are built around MSP430G2553 micro controller. I have built a new version that has inputs that I am using out at the end of my driveway, which is 700' long, to monitor vehicle and pedestrian sensors. I wanted the ability to reset the power to the USB port if the device goes stupid, mostly due to a switch debounce problem. Having the serial port nicely mapped to the usb port is perfect to make a shell script that lmce can call if all else fails. I am now building an audio switcher. This will have 12 outputs that can choose up to 16 inputs. This way I can use any of my inputs to play throughout the whole house. This is almost done. I will need to work on the device template after the build is complete.

All these devices are cheap. If you or anyone is interested I can post the schematics and/or the pc board layouts. I do have some extra boards as well.

Jim

I'd be interested to hear more about what your doing with your MSP430G2553 based micro controller both in the garden setting and at the end of your drive. Both sound very interesting indeed.

All the best

Andy
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »
I'd be interested to hear more about what your doing with your MSP430G2553 based micro controller both in the garden setting and at the end of your drive. Both sound very interesting indeed.

All the best

Andy

Hi Andy

Sorry just saw this. I have 2 devices so far. The 1st one is a switch and input device. The switch drives some 12 volt relays that can switch up to 120v ac but with a small amp rating at 120v ac. Great for irrigation or a gate etc. It could be coupled with a contactor for more current if needed. The inputs are digital (for now) that can be connected to say a rain sensor or a photo eye. I have some vehicle loop sensor connected. I am working on analog devices now like temp and moisture. Pretty straight forward.
The 2nd device is an audio switch that uses digital switches. The one I have take 16 inputs and can switch it to one or all of 12 outputs.
If you can make your own PCBs (which is pretty easy) the costs are very cheap for the switch. The audio switch can get pricey with each of the digital switches around $2.50US each. You need 1 for each output zone per channel with 8 inputs max. So 4 chips for each output zone for my setup with 16 inputs. This could start small and chips added as needed to keep the cost down.

I do have some extra PCBs if you are interested. I had some made in China.

I just started to work on a touch screen controller for lmce. Not an orbiter but basically a switch that would be tied to events. trying to get it to fit in a j box with a standard decora plate.

Sorry for the late reponse

Jim

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 10:20:13 am »
Hi Andy

Sorry just saw this. I have 2 devices so far. The 1st one is a switch and input device. The switch drives some 12 volt relays that can switch up to 120v ac but with a small amp rating at 120v ac. Great for irrigation or a gate etc. It could be coupled with a contactor for more current if needed. The inputs are digital (for now) that can be connected to say a rain sensor or a photo eye. I have some vehicle loop sensor connected. I am working on analog devices now like temp and moisture. Pretty straight forward.
The 2nd device is an audio switch that uses digital switches. The one I have take 16 inputs and can switch it to one or all of 12 outputs.
If you can make your own PCBs (which is pretty easy) the costs are very cheap for the switch. The audio switch can get pricey with each of the digital switches around $2.50US each. You need 1 for each output zone per channel with 8 inputs max. So 4 chips for each output zone for my setup with 16 inputs. This could start small and chips added as needed to keep the cost down.

I do have some extra PCBs if you are interested. I had some made in China.

I just started to work on a touch screen controller for lmce. Not an orbiter but basically a switch that would be tied to events. trying to get it to fit in a j box with a standard decora plate.

Sorry for the late reponse

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

Have you built some Core side devices/code that provides the logic for controlling the device switching? ie green house application. I guess you could do that with custom scenarios though in fact as you have all the time/season type logic available there etc.

In your original post you mention a Raspberry Pi - what are you using that for? I'll think about the PCB's - thanks.

The new Raspberry Pi Model A+ might be worth looking at for your touch screen controller - its much smaller than the B/B+ and only $20 USD + shipping/Tax

All the best

Andy
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 02:43:08 pm »
Hi Andy

I do have devices/code for the core/pc. They are written in Ruby. I do have one written in C++ but kept having problems with the device becoming disabled after a Quick Reload and switched back to Ruby. I know it's something I'm doing but just lost patience with myself. Everything is still pretty much event driven still with the hardware having a parent GSD device on any PC (including the RPI) handling the serial communication, then children under it like a door sensor or an on/off switch. This is pretty basic. I would like to put together an irrigation controller that would be a bit smarter. I was waiting to see what happens with the weather plugin and see if I can use that to effect zone times based on recent climate data. I am also adding functionality to handle analog inputs like temperature sensors.

The audio switch is a bit more complex but still basically event driven. The parent device handles serial communication with the hardware and then I adapted the audio zone template #1867 as child devices. The event would be something like "listening to music in bedroom - turn on audio switch bedroom input to bedroom output". I create some custom scenarios where I can set up a group of output zones to be connected to a single input. The last being the reason for building it.

For the RPI I use it in remote locations. At the end of my driveway (which is 600' long) I have one of my switches connected to it. The hardware is connected to roadway and photo eye sensors. I have a directional wifi bridge set up that also sends an IP camera's RTSP stream. (I wrote an adapter so LMCE could handle the RTSP stream). I have the same setup at the garden/green house.

Funny you mentioned the RPI A+ I saw that and I received a touch screen for the RPI ($25US) and plan on using it with the A+. It looks real interesting but I think it will need a custom J-box plate. Not the end of the world and it would be a lot more powerful than the micro controller type I was thinking of and I think a bit easier to get to the end product. I will keep you informed on the progress with that.

Take care

Jim