Author Topic: 14-Feb-2014 build notes.  (Read 3133 times)

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
14-Feb-2014 build notes.
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:01:35 pm »
Booted the 14-Feb-2014 snapshot.

I selected "Install LinuxMCE Hybrid-Core + MD"

At "Preparing to install LinuxMCE"

"is connected to the internet" always failed no matter which ethernet cable was in eth0 or eth1.

At this point I went with motherboard=eth0, pci=eth1.

When I went with motherboard=eth0 and pci=eth1 the installation would run and eventually I'd end up at the KDE desktop which looked like a Live-DVD install.

If I rebooted the PC at this point I would receive a flashing cursor - end of story.

If I selected Install LinuxMCE the system would re-attempt to install Kubuntu 12.04 and eventually crash.

When I swapped eth0 and eth1 (motherboard=eth1 and pci=eth0) the system loaded. did it's thing and eventually I received the armchair penguin.

Somewhere along the route my screen was distorted but a power off/on (of the monitor) resolved it.

Once everything calmed down and I managed to get the GNU GRUB menu I selected Ubuntu with Linux.

Again I got into a loop.  When I was again/and/again presented with the GNU GRUB menu I swapped my ethernet cables back to motherboard=eth0 and pci=eth1.

This time I got past the Waiting for network configuration to Waiting up to 60 seconds for network configuration to Booting the system without a full network configuration.

Eventually the AVWizard ran.

Cheers.

p.s. don't forget to go into webadmin and swap your network interfaces around if they're messed up when you check with ifconfig.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:47:43 pm by pigdog »

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: 14-Feb-2014 build notes.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:44:22 pm »
"is connected to the internet" always failed no matter which ethernet cable was in eth0 or eth1.

This is a known issue and will not affect the installation in any way.

I have not had any of the other issues you describe.

J.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 07:54:13 am »
Once everything calmed down and I managed to get the GNU GRUB menu I selected Ubuntu with Linux.
I can report I also got the GNU GRUB menu at one point. Also  had the "is connected to internet" error but phenigma reports below this is a known issue.

Regarding eth0 / eth1 - I have a working 10.04 installation on the same machine (different HDD) so I just keep that the same although I completely unplug the internal network NIC while installing so as not to confuse anything and that seems to work. Incidentally, this is with eth0 as external NIC.

In addition, I noted:

• unable to resolve "download.videolan.org" - at some point
  • /etc/rc2.d/S9??? - some problem on line 72 of one of these scripts but I didn't catch which at some point.

I will try a reinstall and see if things differ.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:26:30 pm »
Hi,

I re-installed the 14-Feb-2014 build from scratch and I disconnected my eth1 cable.

The install ran up to 90% and then stalled.  After 20 minutes I plugged the eth1 cable in and the installation resumed.

Eth0 and Eth1 came up with the proper IP addresses.

Cheers.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 03:23:01 pm »
Hi,

This networking thing is irregular.  Works sometimes/doesn't.

When it gets into "Waiting for network configuration" then crashes and loops then I disconnect the eth0 cable.

It usually goes into "Waiting for network configuration" then " Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration" then "Booting system without full network configuration".

At the AVWizard I re-connect the eth0 cable.

Cheers

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:14:58 pm »

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 11:51:09 pm »
Hi,

Feb.21 build gave me positive connect to the internet.

Feb. 23 build gave me positive hit but only on the second load from scratch.

Cheers