Author Topic: Configuration file ***CLOSED***  (Read 17211 times)

johnny

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Configuration file ***CLOSED***
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:52:36 am »
***CLOSED***

Problem Fixed! thanks!

thanks for your help!!

Can Anyone Help With this? its the first time i received this in 10.04, i dont know why? my system is doing this in kde desktop when using dolphin i get this message and im having problems with my media library its not saving my video locations i suspect its nt saving my hard drive configuration due to this???

Configuration file "/home/john/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc" not writable.
Please contact your system administrator.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:26:46 am by johnny »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
What does ls -l tell you as to who owns that file?

-Thom

johnny

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
well i tried sudo -i to fix the configuration file? i started this after i did a fresh install ive used the same disc with a different asus motherboard and never had so many problems,network,audio ect.i fixed all that but now the media library is screwed up and i have to sudo into dolphin,and some other programs every time i want use it its a pain cant i just set every thing to sudo all the time? it appears mce is running sudo or root all the time anyway?

johnny

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
also why cant i get a good download of the current 10.04 disc? or is it the snapshot is bugged? i ve tried many different ones and all of them give me different problems,im currently using a disc i made a year ago after i fixed a bunch of problems.i cant wait 2 years for 12 lts to be done if tried both Internet install and disc install of 12.04 and its not even close to functional or workable im not a linux code expert ,i just fix things out of need with info i find on the INTERNET 
also im burning the discs at the slowest speed ,and my cable Internet connection is 16 to 30 mbps down
it would be nice if its not a bad distro snapshot available for download, then a torrent download would nice!!

johnny

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
and another thing ive read many posts about linuxmce why is it when anyone brings up a problem they get attacked? or a smart ass remark? just wondering ,because ive used mce for years and its not as wonderful as its made to be on the Internet yes its got a 10 foot user interface and its supposed to do all these wonderful things but out of the box none of it works properly so ,talking it up and attacking people that bring up problems isnt the way to go ,in my opinion ,that is if some people are maybe a little to proud of it, i have a wind turbine company i built from the ground up with my patented design ect. and i dont attack no believers of my product ,or some one that may have a problem with my product i help!!! i dont give them a shit response .

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
I appreciate your commentary on the state of LinuxMCE, allow me to reply:

LinuxMCE is, as of 2008, a community open source project. There is no company driving its direction, nor is any one person dictating its direction or behaviour.

We don't even have enough people to warrant any form of management, which people seem to volunteer for in droves.

I have used LinuxMCE for many years, as well (since 2006), and I am utilizing virtually every part of the system, sans telecom in my house. (I am using telecom, but I am also actively trying to get it back to feature parity), which brings me to my next point:

Because this code base is so large, and there are so few people working on it, things break, and we fix them as we get around to them. Would you like this situation to change? CONTRIBUTE! You'll find the majority of my posts that people say "attack" one or another, revolve around the lack of contribution, and the over abundance of complaint from _very_ vocal users who seem to have nothing else to do, but criticise the hard work of myself and others.

So you help, you say? Fantastic, dig in, and try to solve problems for others here, and help document things, this community only survives because of its users, because it and the code, is all we have.

Also, you've used LMCE for years? Where are your wiki posts? or your forum posts, for that matter, helping others?

-Thom
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:45:13 am by tschak909 »

johnny

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
ive never asked for help until now,and dont worry ill never ask again maybe ,linuxmce should act like a business then,and you used to sell products i remember seeing them who made the profits for that?
and what should contribute funds for ,and are you 501c nonprofit? or what ?

johnny

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
sorry i asked for help,ill find the answers to what i need to know elsewhere!!!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
You missed my point. Not surprising, given your lack of proper punctuation, and/or sentence structure.

As I said, as of 2008, LinuxMCE became wholly a community open source project, when the company that started this project, Pluto, became insolvent. The remaining licensee of the technology, Fiire, closed their doors, a few months before Pluto did, this is the hardware you refer to, it never had a chance to even prove itself in the marketplace.

My point was, you complain about the quality of help here, this can only change if you help change it. However, given the way you respond, and the fact that you've only done a handful of posts, I don't see this happening.

The irony is, you never even directly answered my question.

-Thom

johnny

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
in not going to pass insults back and forth here,but you can tom,im sorry i wasted my time here that for sure i know what linuxmce is kde with pluto scripts slapped on it ,keep up the good script slapping you dont have to insult me here and waste  our time,oh p.s theres a blog about this exact thing, with you Tom ,if you dont own linuxmce dont act like you own it ,on the Internet!!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Actually, no.. LinuxMCE uses very little of KDE, itself.

The core code, is roughly 4 million lines of our own C++ code, not counting the 12 or so projects that we incorporate upstream:

http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/trunk/

It doesn't matter whether I "own" it or not, I am merely one of the contributors to the code base, these days, of which, the above linked codebase is one of three known forks to exist:

* Ours (LinuxMCE)
* Dianemo (Convergent Home Technology)
* Schneider-Electric, has a variant made for the KNX market, and purchased the commercial code outright from Pluto after its insolvency, but as of yet, has not made a shipping product with it.

Why are you being so hostile? You still haven't even answered my initial question.

-Thom

johnny

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: the 20 question wtf????
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 11:34:55 am »
 1.the phones in mce have never worked for me i use a separate digium asterisk appliance,hell the call other media directors - orbiters doesn't even work out of the box  1
 2.now mce has networking issues out of the box, i had to fix that because nothing worked!
3.audio kde has never had audio to work with any mother board ive tried, kde controls the hardware,why ?
4. why does mce detect a fujistu tablet orbiter as a dgs-5300 camera and sometimes windows phones?
5.why doesn't the bluetooth work?
6. why do ir remotes not work out of the box? oh ubuntu lirc!
7.why does mce have to regen all the time?
8.what is debian sarge for o.s i thought it supposed to be kubuntu lucid?
9.why doesn't a hauppage pvr 150 work any more they used to i have two of them now with 10.04 iv tried everything to get those to work even iptv firmware changes?
10.why do the  security cameras drop all the time ?a reboot is required,also a problem out of the box,no auto setup for capture cards or devices this sucks
11.cm11a drops connection periodically as well ,home seer on windows never did, is this a template problem or a problem with the ruby code?never did in the past
12.no iphone or ipad detection out of the box this sucks but can be fixed
13.no  analog microphone in kde or in mce wtf how are we suppose to make calls,or announcements i have yet to get that working and im not willing to spend 100 dollars on that usb mic suggested sorry i have very good analog mics
14. the audio working in kde with mics, on an older asus deluxe motherboard but for the life of me cant remember what exactly i did it had something to do with installing pulse audio and a network stream plug in
15.asus p8z77 pro motherboard is a real bitch to get working with mce i spent almost 2 weeks ,wtf? could be sandy bridge? just a guess
16.i would like to get announcements working at least and phones, and why doesn't voip work ive pulled my hair out i said the hell wit and made a asterisk box for google voice
17. why isnt it possible to use a standard modem to make a receive calls? ive done it with other distros
18.oh, no uninterpretable power supply support out of the box and is a pain in the ass
19.no hp printer support out of the box and is  another pain in the ass to get working!mce detects memory card slots on network printer though wtf?
20.oh and text to speech doesn't work ive tried i actually have a windows tablet i use as an orbiter and tts announcements sever with at&t voices sounds good but tts in linux would be nice again i had this working 2 years ago with an old system and cmu and voice recognition i forgot how i got it working,it sure would be nice to have this integrated in mce though!
and that my 20 line wtf!!!

and by your question what does -i mean i haven't got a clue ? i assumed sudo -i ,i dont get the configuration script error when im sudoed in!

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: the 20 question wtf????
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 11:52:56 am »
and by your question what does -i mean i haven't got a clue ?

The idea was that you post the output of the command in the directory in question. The command was
Code: [Select]
ls -l
It shows the contents of the current directory in long form.

johnny

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
21.also im having the auto detection scripts run all the time,it never done this before ,every reboot or regen this dialog box with hardware detection scripts gets in the way on my orbiters and while watching movies,another wtf?
22. also i get a black screen and no flicker images after exiting things like the computing app
23. you know what else would be nice dual monitor support,for example the mce media director/orbiter on one screen and say the kde desktop on the other,the only way i could use two monitors at the same time was a dvi splitter and it just shows the same screen on each monitor.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:00:06 pm by johnny »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Unfortunately, you executed the command in the wrong place. You experienced a problem writing to /home/john/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc

To get a helpful result, please ls -l for the config dir and the share dir, i.e.
ls -l /home/john/.kde/share
and

ls -l /home/john/.kde/share/config
Oh, and *pretty please with sugar on top*, at least TRY to write with proper layout. It is much easier to read for the people trying to help.