Author Topic: Method to detect Media  (Read 5860 times)

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Method to detect Media
« on: March 30, 2007, 07:23:11 pm »
Here's my current setup.

I have a dual boot Windows/Ubuntu box.  Two of the internal drives are essentially shared between Linux and Windows.  I also have a 2nd windows box that hosts music and pictures.  Currently LMCE can't find the content from any of these drives.

--device name from inside Linux
/media/hd5a ->NTFS partition containing DVD ISO images
/media/hd4a ->FAT32 partition containing various MPEG4/MPEG2 video files. 

--Windows shares located on an IP ouside of the internal network
\\PICTURES
\\MUSIC

Questions:
1.  Why doesn't LMCE automatically find the content on /media/hd5a and /media/hd4a drives?  How do I update LMCE so that this data will appear under the 'Videos' option in the 'Media' menu?

2. I understand that LMCE won't detect my windows shares automatically since they aren't on the same "internal" network (i.e. LMCE internal network 192.168.80.xxx, but Windows Box is 192.168.2.xxx).  How do I get my pictures\music to be visible to LMCE.  Do I need to manually add a device(s) using the Window Share / device template 1768?

k84

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Method to detect Media
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:57:29 pm »
Hi,
As of my own experience it might help to add symbolic links to those folder /media/hd5a and /media/hd4a
place the symbolic links in /home/public/data/videos/

You should check that it has read permissions as well i guess.

Best regards,.
k84

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 08:25:29 pm »
As of my own experience it might help to add symbolic links to those folder /media/hd5a and /media/hd4a
place the symbolic links in /home/public/data/videos/

You should check that it has read permissions as well i guess.

I already tried that, but it didn't seem to work.  I added a symbolic link to one of the drives and then from the admin page clicked "resynchronize" I believe.  A script was run and it said that the contents of the folder was added to the database or something like that. I could see it processing the names of my ISO files, so I know my link was good.  I thought that I was in the clear until I tried to view the files from LMCE.  When I select the 'videos' menu my ISO images aren't listed.

I tried ripping a DVD from inside LMCE and that worked fine.  The movie was listed and I could select it. 

I'll try it again tonight and check the permissions of the symbolic link.

k84

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:28:47 pm »
Think it might be a problem with permisson then maybe
chmod -r 644 /media/hd4a

or something might work?

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 05:02:36 am »
It looks like my symbolic link was working all along.  I just didn't have any media in the folder that LMCE knew how to play.  It apparently doesn't know what to do with ISO dvd's.  As soon as I copied a MPEG2 into the folder it showed up in the videos menu.

So, if you have a hard drive on your LMCE box with media you can get it to show up inside video folder like this:

cd /home/public/data/videos

sudo ln -s /media/hda5 ./hda5 

In the example above, /media/hda5 is the location of my NTFS drive.  LMCE will automatically scan the directories and subdirectories for video files.  The same thing should work for audio, but I haven't tried it yet.

Enjoy!

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 06:50:24 am »
if you rename the files to .dvd then it works.