Author Topic: LG 42LS570S & ZOTAC IONITX-A-U N330  (Read 2532 times)


  • Veteran
  • ***
  • Posts: 72
    • View Profile
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:24:23 pm »
I recently got a new TV and hooked it up to my MD, had a few problems with it, which I thought I should document here in case somebody else has the same problems.

First of all, I have to say that I did not keep detailed notes, so I can only say for certain what my solutions are, not how I got there, or what in between steps I took in which order.

The AVWizard did not detect the TV as a Full HD TV. I could select 1080, but only the upper left quarter of the screen was visible (stretched to fill the whole screen). I selected 720p in the AVWizard and corrected the problem manually by adding a Modeline to the xorg.conf file:
Code: [Select]
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    Option         "DPMS"
        Modeline        "1920x1080" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 11
25 +hsync +vsync
        HorizSync       30-83
        VertRefresh     58-62
And updating the resolution of the orbiter via the WebAdmin and regenerating it.

Other than that everything seemed to work out of the box, until I noticed that the TV had to be on before the MD booted. Otherwise the X server would detect no screens and stop there.
It turns out that the X server asks the TV for some information, but if the TV does not respond (because it is turned off), then it stops with the "No Screens Detected" message. The solution for this I found at: (Though in my case the TV was connected to DFP-1.)

Note: Adding the ConnectedMonitor option was enough to get the MD going and displaying an image, but the CustomEDID option was needed to ensure that I also had sound. The EDID file I used is attached to this post.
I noticed the LinuxMCE config scripts can add the ConnectedMonitor field to the xorg config file automatically. I'll see if I can make a patch for this. However, adding the EDID file would be trickier, I'd need help from a more experienced developer for that.

Then there is sound. For some reason no audio cards are detected. (I think this broke somewhere during an update, since I did have sound after the original AV wizard run.)
The asound.conf and xine.conf files referred to "plughw:,3" instead of "plughw:0,3" as before. I'm not sure why. For now I just updated the files by re-inserting the missing zero and setting the sound configuration to "M" (manual) via the webadmin so it doesn't get updated to the wrong value each time.

So everything seems to work fine now.

A minor thing: My MCE remote does not seem to be able to learn the On/Off, Vol Up and Vol Down commands of the LG remote. So I currently need two remotes to operate my MD. I'm still trying to find a work-around for that.

The TV has a LAN port and can be controlled via that. There are some efforts (by other people) to reverse engineer the protocol from the LG smart phone app. If this works I could add support for it to LinuxMCE. However, I as far as I can tell (at least for my model) the LAN port can not be used to turn the TV on. (A major drawback I think)

The TV does not have a serial port for control like other LG TVs, but according to connecting an ATEN USB to serial converter could work (LG does not document for which TVs this works). I ordered one of those converters and I'll see if I can use that to control the TV with the existing LG TV template from LinuxMCE.


  • NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • ***
  • Posts: 1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:06:49 am »
If you changed monitors, LMCE held the old monitor values when it created the first xorg.conf.

If you remove /etc/X11/xorg.con* and reboot, avwizard will not be inappropriately sized.
I never quit... I just ping out.