Author Topic: LinuxMCE community, lets talk.  (Read 16749 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE community, lets talk.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 01:32:10 am »
I could probably add a quickstart option, once we get out of beta, on the DVD installer that would allow you to enter A user and A room the core is in, and as many or few other details as needed to bypass Setup Wizard for those just sick to death of it...
I never quit... I just ping out.

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 03:01:39 am »
I'll 2nd that

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 04:22:10 am »
How about a way to import a backup pre-wizard?

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 04:25:51 am »
And automatically adding a Web orbiter...  Usually one if the first things I do once the system is installed.

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 08:42:25 pm »
hi,

i miss following things:

-) sort video list with "last entry", so we can see what's newly recorded on the system.
-) ability to forward +30 sec (or configurable in web-admin) with one key (i.e. arrow right) in the video player.

Right now, the most used feature is mythtv for recording and also watch recordings, because there we can see what have been recorded last day and also forward the +30 sec with the arrow key on the wii remote.

br
markus

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 09:18:21 pm »
-) ability to forward +30 sec (or configurable in web-admin) with one key (i.e. arrow right) in the video player.

works when VDR is used as the PVR :P

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 04:34:10 pm »
works when VDR is used as the PVR :P

really? I thought recordings made by vdr are also in the "normal" video list which were used by the xine player as with the mythtv recordings... didn't know that. :)

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 03:08:58 pm »
I'm sorry to say I left LinuxMCE a few months back for 1 reason, LiveTV support is just horrendous. I need something that works when it comes to LiveTV and it isn't LinuxMCE. If the wife isn't happy, then I am not allowed to play with my toys.

I miss so much about LinuxMCE and hope someday to put it back on my system. I don't mind having to get my hands dirty and figuring something out, but with a 1 year old and a 2 year old I don't have time to do more than wipe my butt in the morning. I have chatted to a few others on xbmc forum that have left for the same reason. LinuxMCE does so much more than xbmc (gui not included) but the one thing it has implemented that I need is rock solid livetv/pvr functionality.

polly

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 03:25:22 pm »
Hey ...

I'm sorry to say I left LinuxMCE a few months back for 1 reason, LiveTV support is just horrendous. I need something that works when it comes to LiveTV and it isn't LinuxMCE. If the wife isn't happy, then I am not allowed to play with my toys.

i agree .....
I can provide a detailed report about MythTV on LMCE, if anyone nows how to implement or just make it work rock solid i'm glad to help.

As mentioned in a ealier post: I want MythTV to work rock solid! For me the most annoying thing. Radomly throwing errors like "irrecoverable recorder error", "Frame buffering something failed" or quit unexpected while switch between channels.

imho, i think LMCE Media stuff should work ootb. I dont talk about configuration, thats another story ;-)

Cheers,
ochorocho

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 05:13:14 pm »

I miss so much about LinuxMCE and hope someday to put it back on my system. I don't mind having to get my hands dirty and figuring something out, but with a 1 year old and a 2 year old I don't have time to do more than wipe my butt in the morning. I have chatted to a few others on xbmc forum that have left for the same reason. LinuxMCE does so much more than xbmc (gui not included) but the one thing it has implemented that I need is rock solid livetv/pvr functionality.

Can you reference what you have found that just works?

What problem did you have? MythTV is MythTV...
I never quit... I just ping out.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 02:13:03 am »
Hey ...

i agree .....
I can provide a detailed report about MythTV on LMCE, if anyone nows how to implement or just make it work rock solid i'm glad to help.

As mentioned in a ealier post: I want MythTV to work rock solid! For me the most annoying thing. Radomly throwing errors like "irrecoverable recorder error", "Frame buffering something failed" or quit unexpected while switch between channels.

imho, i think LMCE Media stuff should work ootb. I dont talk about configuration, thats another story ;-)

Cheers,
ochorocho

sad face. all i can say. bums me out to hear that we are basically suffering because of software we dont maintain. awesome :|
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 04:02:07 am »
sad face. all i can say. bums me out to hear that we are basically suffering because of software we dont maintain. awesome :|

The problem with MythTV in LMCE is that it's 0.23, and that version had known stability issues.  When I had upgraded my (non-LMCE) MythTV, it was considerably more stable on 0.24 and 0.25 than it ever was on 0.23.  If we could upgrade the LMCE MythTV parts to support 0.25-fixes, that would likely address some people's stability issues.  0.26 introduces UTC time in the database, so the Level of effort there might be a bit higher at this point in time.  Besides, it's never a good idea to upgrade to a point zero release on any software... Let it get to 0.26.2 before considering it for inclusion when stability is key.

My $0.02 worth before HST.

HTH!

/Mike

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 08:38:18 am »
What grabbed me most once I sort of got to grips with LMCE was the scalability of the system. When we did some big alterations on the house I did some basic planning of my ideal system but knew I couldn't justify (or source) the funds to go the whole hog but all I had to do at building time was put in the conduits for the network jacks! Brilliant. In this part of the world we still build houses mostly with brick walls so putting in wiring afterwards is expensive and messy but if you plan right when building you just stick in the conduits and blank points at almost no extra cost.

Then I have pulled in the cables later as I've expanded my system... media director by media director.

To me this is a real winner that can suit the average guy who doesn't have the cash or can't at this stage see the benefit of full home automation and media. All he has to do at build time is "future proof" his building a bit with the infrastructure at very little extra cost and then all the rest can be added as required.

The fact that it all runs off an IP network is also wizardry as far as I'm concerned. No need to pull in 2'' video or audio cables and have a massive amplifier driving high-end speakers- it makes so much sense to have the processing and decoding done at the client end and then only send compressed audio/video over the network.

So the flexibility and architecture is a winner.

For Christmas (and note I'm willing to tackle all these projects on my own when I can), I'd like-

* Synchronised audio at media directors (same song, at same point, multiple places). So synchronised multiroom audio without using squeezeslaves. I know opinion is divided on the subject - I say it is possible, everyone else says it isn't ;-)
* streaming video from security cameras. my single IP camera works like a charm but I gather it's sending static images fast enough for me not to know the difference. Fine for now but as I add cameras it could be problematic.
* Slicker and sexier UI
* Knowledge of what works and what doesn't....

The last two have been mentioned by others and I think they are, to some degree, a product of a community project like this. Understandably, the limited dev time is focussed on getting devices (new and existing) up and running. Much more sensible than someone spending hours trying to tweak the look and feel or document / categorise /maintain the wiki or working out that one strange bug that is so easily worked around.

All in all, though, I love it and thanks to everyone involved. Keep it up guys.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »

As MkBrown mentioned it is the fact that LinuxMCE is bundled with support for mythTV 23. I have a ceton capture card which allows me to grab all my cable directly from an m-cable card, no need to pay the cable company for any extra hardware. This works flawlessly with mythTV 26, and now with xbmc using libcmyth. The nice thing about the xbmc implementation is that xbmc handles all of the client part and lets mythTV handle serving the information / feed.

Again, I love everything about LinuxMCE and think it is much better at pretty much everything but LiveTV. The problem is the wife only cares about liveTV, and it is an area that needs to just work.

I want to thank all the developers, especially Thom for working on this system and with me on it, I hope someday to be able to contribute more time to the programming effort (2 very small children and a new job keep me from that) and hope that this issue is resolved soon so that I can go back to the system I really want running my house.

Kevin
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:51:35 pm by kyfalcon »