Author Topic: Softphone won't register  (Read 3731 times)

pablito

• View Profile
Softphone won't register
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:52:22 pm »
Hi:

I'm trying to get 'any' softphone to register with LMCE and am not having much luck. For context, my LMCE install is a 1004 script based install.

I started off by following the 'Ekiga' wiki page instructions, but with changes to reflect new the newer version. So the first thing I did was to create a new 'Generic SIP softphone' device from the admin web interface, gave it 201 as the phone number, set a password and set the floor object type to 'Non-linuxmce phone'. I then installed the Ekiga client on my Windows 7 box, added a new account and filled in the relevant bits. Oh, following installation the wizard didn't ask about STUN (as per screenshots), but I did tick the 'Disable network detection' from the preferences. This failed to connect. A little Wiresharking later and I realised that Ekiga didn't even appear to be sending any SIP REGISTER messages to the core.

So then I downloaded and installed Jitsi and with this client (against the same 201 line), I see the REGISTER message in Wireshark. However, the core responds with a 401 (Unauthorized). From the core, I opened a terminal and started sniffing around in the /etc/asterisk folder. Upon grep'ing the entire directory for '201' I had only one hit in hints.conf. I don't know much about asterisk, but from some of the googling I've done, this doesn't look right. I also tried opening the asterisk console and issue the 'sip show peers' and it reports only the MD's default client (i.e. ext. 200).

In short, it looks like the device creation hasn't sinked up from the LMCE DB to the asterisk config. Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Pab

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Softphone won't register
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:53:08 am »
from what I read in your post, it seems like you did a lot of manual work for creating your softphone...which is odd.
you actually don't need to do most of what you seem to have done. Actually you only need to create the device in the webadmin via template....you don't ever assign phonenumbers or passwords. All of that is done by Linuxmce..automagically, as they say around here. So perhaps the reason why its not working is, because the system wants to do it and you just created an unwanted intereference.
My advice: delete this handmade device, reload you router, create a new sip-softphone with the proper template...and don't change anything in that device, just copy the phonenumber and password to your sip-client...and that should do it.

pablito

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:46:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply, but I've tried it your way and didn't get any further. As I'm still in experimentation mode, I decided to download the 10.04 Beta1 ISO which I burned to a USB stick. The installation went well enough the second time around. Once it was up, I created a new 'Generic SIP softphone' device from the admin console and this time copied the number and password from the web admin page for the device into the Jitsi client. LMCE is still reporting '401 Unauthorized'.

I'm eager to understand how the asterisk interface (... is that the right terminology?) is meant to 'automagically' provision asterisk as you say. Is there any documentation on that? Maybe I can start debugging things a bit. I'd also appreciate hearing from anyone that has a softphone up and running.

Pab

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 04:39:48 pm »
[..]
I'm eager to understand how the asterisk interface (... is that the right terminology?) is meant to 'automagically' provision asterisk as you say. Is there any documentation on that?

The source is the documentation as they say. With 1004 we are using the realtime database and feed the mysql database with the details of the device template information.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 04:45:46 pm »
could you put up some screenshots of your sip-client?

pablito

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 10:03:24 pm »
Hi:

Here are some images of the Jitsi configuration pages. As you can see, the password is from a later attempt when I'd changed it on the admin page to '201'. It failed identically whether I used the generated default and copied that into the phone or tried a simplified '201' password on both the server and the client. I've also attached the popup once the client has retried about 5 or 6 times and then given up.

Thanks for the interest!

Pab

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 06:49:36 pm »
okay...so lets see
I had x-lite running for a while, until they put out this awful update, which made it totally unusable. Right now I have Phonerlite running here, but the setup is always the same:
your username is only 201, leave the @ and everything that follows
in your second screenshot there is a registration name, yours is blank...I think you should put 201 there again.
Try this out and let me know, if it works