Author Topic: Installer breaks my system's network configuration...  (Read 8423 times)

dun

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Installer breaks my system's network configuration...
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:20:41 am »
Ok, I have the following problem with installer. It breaks up my network configuration. Is there a possibility to modify the installer so that you would be able to to choose from drop-down box which connection is external and which is internal.

My ubuntu rig has these three network intefaces:

External: Bond0 => eth1,eth2
Internal: eth0, dhcp server etc...

When I run the installer, it just informs me that my external network is in eth0 (which it is not) and then it writes over my /etc/network/interface file and I am unable continue with install. Help plz.

Pain

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Installer breaks my system's network configuration...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:01:43 am »
It is also a problem if your trying to install it behind a router with only one nic.  Seems no matter if you manually choose dynamic ip or static, it does it's own thing anyway and wants to be the router causing a conflict with the real router.  ifconfig shows a virtual nic called eth0: eth0 with a ip of 192.168.0.1

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 03:22:32 am »
You change nic settings in the admin panel under advanced, network settings.  It's true that during install LMCE tries to 'take over' the nic process with the assumption the user doesn't know what he's doing, and it's not integrated into Ubuntu's networking setup.  This is an issue that needs to be resolved.  However in the meantime you should be able to let LMCE change the nic, and then when it's done, change it back to what you want and I don't think LMCE will touch it again unless you go into the network settings manually.

dun

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 03:48:22 pm »
You change nic settings in the admin panel under advanced, network settings.  It's true that during install LMCE tries to 'take over' the nic process with the assumption the user doesn't know what he's doing, and it's not integrated into Ubuntu's networking setup.  This is an issue that needs to be resolved.  However in the meantime you should be able to let LMCE change the nic, and then when it's done, change it back to what you want and I don't think LMCE will touch it again unless you go into the network settings manually.

Yes, I thought that too but I cannot install linuxmce because it just runs through its script and it cannot download anything from broken network nor it does not install any packages from cd either. And it usually breaks my profile too from which I am runing it.

robertsaron

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 07:25:43 pm »
I am also having issues with networking. Is there a detailed walkthrough on how to setup the ip configuration in Ubuntu? I used to know how to log into root and sup user, but well its been a couple of years. SInce I have used linux. the router that is being used is a wrt54g, how do is disable the routing /DHCP functions on my linux box? I am having issues with the install, but beleive those are more easily fixed.

cameljon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 10:05:32 pm »
I had the same problem, and dun is right, at least for me it needs to download updates during the install.

I'm using a wireless card with ndiswrapper but I'm guessing it's going to be the same for any card.

On my 2nd install attempt I went into my connection properties (via clicking applet on top panel) and manually typed in the ESSID during the install as soon as my connection dropped. It then downloaded the stuff it needed.

Install isn't complete yet but I got past this problem. :)

forhaud

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 09:22:33 pm »
I had the same problem...
I have solved it throwing below(down) eth0 before proceeding to install.
It(He,She) has asked me to put the configuration to hand or to try to find her again(afresh), I have put ip statics and it works well.

Excuse me, I do not speak English good...
(Reverso.net)

El problema de la conexion se ha resuelto tirando abajo eth0 antes de lanzar el instalador... me ha pedido la configuracion de red y al darsela (ip manual) ha levantado la conexion y funcionado a la primera (por si le sirve a alguien...)

Saludos.

Cyberai

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 03:45:32 pm »
I have the same problem with the broken network config.

But my question is this...  it seems that after you install LinuxMCE and reboot, pluto attempts to use the network to retrieve even more files. I'm seeing messages is the "show details" box about it's attempt to download xml files - and failing.

I also have the grey screen of death problem. I tried going from the UI3 to UI2, but no luck. I guess I can try UI1, and if that doesn't work I can download and install the nVidia drivers from their website.

But right now I am left with no access to the admin panel. So I can't get in there to fix the settings. And once I do, how do I get the pluto thing to run again? It seems to me that I have to fix this network issue BEFORE that runs.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Cyb

axcairns

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 04:29:53 pm »
I think I had the same problem. eth0 was assigned an address in the 200 range but an alias (eth0:0) was assigned 192.168.1.1 which is the same as my router. As soon as this became active (during install) all downloads started failing.

I got around it by editing /etc/network/interfaces and restarting networking. Now the install is proceeding again. Not sure what it will do about the failed downloads. I will have to wait for the reboot to see.

I also suspect, from some of the log messages flying by, that it has ignored my request to not be a dhcp server.

Allan

reidfo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 01:47:10 am »
I think I had the same problem. eth0 was assigned an address in the 200 range but an alias (eth0:0) was assigned 192.168.1.1 which is the same as my router. As soon as this became active (during install) all downloads started failing.

I got around it by editing /etc/network/interfaces and restarting networking. Now the install is proceeding again. Not sure what it will do about the failed downloads. I will have to wait for the reboot to see.

Yep, same issue here. The installer created an alias eth0:0 and assigned it the address of my router. I caught the problem during install and removed the alias, but it appears that mysql and some other processed may not have been started. After the installation continued, I saw some mysql scripts fail. That just can't be good... There really needs to be some exception handling in this install script.

I also suspect, from some of the log messages flying by, that it has ignored my request to not be a dhcp server.

I had this problem as well. It completely ignored me.

bawbag31

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 09:28:08 pm »
I got around this problem by changing my routers IP address before installing LMCE.  This avoids changing the LMCE setup.  If your other boxes get their IP addresses automatically, restarting/repairing the network connections will get them working again.

corwin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 10:40:24 am »
Yep, same issue here. The installer created an alias eth0:0 and assigned it the address of my router. I caught the problem during install and removed the alias, but it appears that mysql and some other processed may not have been started. After the installation continued, I saw some mysql scripts fail. That just can't be good... There really needs to be some exception handling in this install script.

I think I can suggest a way to avoid this problem. And yes, if you have it, packages won't download during the install, MySQL won't start, and basically you'll end up with a hosed install. The best thing to do then IMO is to reinstall Ubuntu and start from scratch.

Anyway... onward to the solution: When starting the install, select to configure the network manually. Give it some ip in your local network range. When asked to enter a range for the DHCP server, enter a 3-digit ip range that is not in your network range. The virtual interface (eth0:0) would then be assigned the gateway address for that range, and it won't interfere with your net access.

Example: Say your router is 192.168.0.1. Assign 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 to the core network. Enter 192.168.1 for the DHCP range. Stir well.

Corwin

Udo

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 08:19:21 pm »
Same problem on 2 Notebooks and 2 PCs *#@!
I've found the install scripts and tried to change the IP settings but as the installer caches the files from CD on every go they will be overridden.
I've managed to install the system by waiting till the YP process is registering during the installation.
At this point the installer allready broke my IP config. You have several seconds time (even on a fast system) to open the network adapter configuration from the Ubuntu administration menu and rechange the network setting so they will work again and the installer can continue downloading the needed files from the internet.
For example I hat to change the default Gateway as I had another router for the internet connection.
Another problem for me was that my router hat the IP adress x.x.x.1. This is exactly what the installer is configuring to the install PC.
Hope this workarround helps others. I also hope the installer will be fixed soon by someone whos knowing what hes doing ;-)
I now have the problem that the orbiter won't start and I have a gray screen without a chance to get the desktop again...
There also was a problem with screen timings after installation so that I ha to change the monitor to see anything.

BeKli

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 06:22:16 pm »
I think I can suggest a way to avoid this problem. And yes, if you have it, packages won't download during the install, MySQL won't start, and basically you'll end up with a hosed install. The best thing to do then IMO is to reinstall Ubuntu and start from scratch.

Anyway... onward to the solution: When starting the install, select to configure the network manually. Give it some ip in your local network range. When asked to enter a range for the DHCP server, enter a 3-digit ip range that is not in your network range. The virtual interface (eth0:0) would then be assigned the gateway address for that range, and it won't interfere with your net access.

Example: Say your router is 192.168.0.1. Assign 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 to the core network. Enter 192.168.1 for the DHCP range. Stir well.

Corwin

Works.
Maybe there should be an option for people who are behind a router in the next version, which does this workaround automatically.

CharlieMopps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 06:20:29 am »
My DSL modem IS a router. I have no way arround it. WTF do I do to get this installed from the quick install disk?