Author Topic: Yeah this is totally easy....wait, what?  (Read 9979 times)

ColumbusGEEK

• View Profile
Yeah this is totally easy....wait, what?
« on: March 25, 2007, 06:14:26 pm »
Not to be a negative Nellie but wasnt this supposed to be terribly easy.  I feel like I am fighting this install every step of the way.  WinMCE is a matter of installing the OS and pressing the appilcation to start it.  Then you are done.

This is a matter of installing the OS, then running the installer, watching a lot of things fail or not work, booting to a black screen, finding the admin url and  wading through the thousands fo menus to find "change resolution", tweaking to find right resolution for LCD monitor.....

and so on.

This looks fantastic and I want it to work due to the massive list of features, but it hardly seems "easy".

ChiefQualakon

• View Profile
    • 4FreeFile Productions
Re: Yeah this is totally easy....wait, what?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 08:16:53 pm »
Agreed.  Even trying to download the installer has been troublesome.  I think I'm going to wait for 1.1.

sportman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 09:07:09 pm »
it is easy if u have the perfect hardware, I for one plan on buying hardware specifically for using linux mce once it works properly.

hondaman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:02:13 am »
Agreed.  Even trying to download the installer has been troublesome.  I think I'm going to wait for 1.1.

I am pretty much useless from a developer standpoint, I may be helpful in the downloading part.  What kind of trouble are you having with the download?

Almighty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:29:34 am »
I try to run the installer and it doesn't seem to do anything. I don't see anything actually installing from the CDROM either.

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 03:19:54 am »
The installation guide shows screen by screen what you should see.  If you don't, something went terribly wrong.  I'm puzzled by "had to wade through menus to change the resolution".  AFter installing LMCE, on the first reboot, you should always see the 'av wizard', which let's you pick the resolution.  You shouldn't ever dig through menus since that's what the av wizard does.  What menus are you digging through, btw?  LMCE or Ubuntu?

Almighty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 03:58:21 am »
I have tried to install this on 2 different machines and I can't even get it through the installation process.

ColumbusGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 04:26:46 am »
Quite a few people here have reported seeing a grey screen or a screen with lines on it that is unusable.

This is the LMCE frontend we are getting on some installs. 

My workaround when I got this was to go into the web based admin and change the UI and/or the drivers.  I am not sure which as I had to dick with them both to get a display.

AFTER, I fixed this I was presented with the setup wizard.

I am reinstalling it for the 3rd time now with different hardware to see if some of my previous choices where poor.

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 04:53:23 am »
Without digging in more I can't be sure, but so far this is always caused by trying to use UI2 with a video card (or driver actually) that doesn't handle XDamage extensions.  That's why I always stick to nVidia 6xxx and higher and I've tried this on many nVidia systems and have never had it not work.

ColumbusGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 07:27:17 am »
Yeah I have been spamming the forum about using the UI1 instead of the UI2 to fix the issue as soon as I figured that out.

My most recent install got a flickering "updating" screen after I did the LMCE install and rebooted. 

Now I am trying KnoppMyth to see if another *nix flavor works or it is just my hardware giving me headaches.

siman007

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 09:16:42 am »
Hi just done an install had a very similar experiance - took my pc (which had been runinng Microsoft Media Center just fine). Installed LinuxMCE, watched somethings fail to install, got bored, install completed but in the mean time Ubuntu lost all its the menus on the tool bar, then rebooted to a blank screen... now stuck. Is there any simple to move to the next stage?
Cheers

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 11:05:58 am »
FYI I'm setting up live yahoo/skype help: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Tech_Support

cameljon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 10:32:28 pm »
it is easy if u have the perfect hardware, I for one plan on buying hardware specifically for using linux mce once it works properly.

He's right unfortunately. Hardware is key to this working blindfolded. :(