Author Topic: Is it supposed to behave like this?  (Read 2806 times)

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
Is it supposed to behave like this?
« on: May 04, 2012, 03:14:49 pm »
Morning folks!

I've been playing around with LMCE 10.04 in a test environment for a while now.  I'm mostly using iDevices and RoamingOrb to access it, and I've noticed that if the core has detected a NAS or something like that which causes a message to appear on the Orbiters asking the user to do something about it, the Proxy/Web Orbiters that RoamingOrb depend on are blocked and become un-responsive.  The web orbiter is also similarly blank.  Is it supposed to behave that way?  Could something be done to prevent the RoamingOrb orbiters from being blocked?  I'm thinking of the use case where someone might only have iDevices and uPnP boxes, and a blocking event might cause the (non-technical) user to think the system was broken or locked up.

Thanks for your time!

/Mike

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Is it supposed to behave like this?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »
It is asking if you want to add the disk as part of the LMCE system. Chances are the message is too large for your orbiter and you can't see all of the buttons

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:53:57 pm »
Kyfalcon,

The problem is more that RoamingOrb (or the Dianemo iOS app) displays nothing at all; they won't load any screens if a "modal" type dialog is on the regular orbiters.  You launch the app and it spins away doing nothing.  Attempting to log into the web orbiter does the same thing; there is no orbiter UI.  This could lead the user to believe that the "system" is broken if they don't have a regular orbiter to see the message on.  There might be a reason for this behaviour, in which case something should be done on the WebOrbiter or WebAdmin to allow the user to understand that their input/action is required.  If there isn't a reason for this behaviour, then I guess a bug would need to be filed.

Don't know for sure, but it might relate to an existing bug: http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/548

My concern is for the End-user experience for those who might have a core, uPnP boxes only for media, and iDevices for controlling it, which could be a use-case for people just getting into LMCE with entry level or existing hardware.

Thanks for your time!

/Mike
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:05:00 pm by mkbrown69 »

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:39:43 pm »
Gotcha