Author Topic: Orbiter with knock off web pads  (Read 4550 times)

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Orbiter with knock off web pads
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:07:58 pm »
Probably a couple years ago I saw some ~$150ish web pad knock offs, anyone using something in that price range with success?
If not, what are the most economical pads people have found that work well.

I know I can use a Nok 900, but its disco'ed and expensive as hell. Seems from looking through the forum the ipad is pretty solid now, but thats expensive as hell just the same.

Thanks guys!

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter with knock off web pads
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:13:24 am »
honestly, look into some of the android tablets. they can be had for pretty cheap, but avoid the really really cheap chinese ones. they will work as web orbiters for now, and later on will be great for qorbiter. the real cheap chinese ones tend to not have opengl graphics acceleration, which is going to be important for qorbiter.
I am playing around with a Dell Streak 7" refurb that i got off woot.com last week for around $150 and it looks like it will make a fantastic platform for qorbiter.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:46:39 am »
 I Have a zenithink zt180 http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php?title=Zenithink_ZT-180&oldid=26845 it is ok with the web orbiter and android touch orbiter but the screen is not very responsive to touch compared with an iPad or iPhone

I am starting to think about what pad or touch screen device I should use at the entrance points to the house so your thread is of interest

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:38:51 am »
Hi,

I'm also taking close look to those tablets... But have bought one about year ago and it wasn't responsive as expected...

Therefore would be more than happy if we exchange our experiences and see if we can find suitable one for good price...

Thanks in advance for any experience,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 02:29:55 pm »
Appreciate the insight. Looks like a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is affordable. I'll give one a whirl!

Thanks guys!

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 04:51:40 pm »
Merk,

How is the 7" (cue Bongo) screen for view-ability, easy of control etc.

I have used PDA, IPhone, and the 10.1" zenithink and for entrance control I think the 10.1 is best because you can see as you approach. But with the 7" being in between it could be big enough to see and small enough that it doesn't over power

For entertainment areas, I think the PDA, iPhones are a little small but the zenithink is a bit big

I think I have just concluded that 7" might be just right, thoughts?

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 07:17:02 pm »
BTW - I am also interested to learn how the pads would behave if you set up a sip client and a squeeze/slim player on the pad.

I have been investigating  Sip Droid to make the pad a phone extension and I want to install Squeeze player to make an Audio only Media zone.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:24:02 am »
I have settled on 7" after trying the alternatives as well. a phone works fine for quick scenario changes or something, but is too small for general use. mostly just the convenience of already being on your person. the 10" tablet is a bit unwieldy, particularly for handheld use.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 02:35:17 pm »
* posde likes the form factor of the WebDTs best. It really shows that Pluto used it when they design UI1. iPad is nice as well, a bit on the large side. 7" is a bit on the small side, depending on your fingers (and eyes)

bikerrob

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 03:30:13 pm »
ive have a tc1100 i used 710 till 810 as md and a web orb it has everything you need. no cam