Author Topic: Orbiter failed to setup transparency?  (Read 16500 times)

hobbes487

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Orbiter failed to setup transparency?
« on: March 24, 2007, 07:43:08 pm »
I have installed linuxmce, but when it starts up i get a gray screen and then an error message "Orbiter failed to setup transparencey. Please check if the transparency manager is running."  I click 'OK' and it closes the error message and I am back at the gray screen and I can't do anything.  Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Annon

• View Profile
Re: Orbiter failed to setup transparency?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:20:39 pm »
Yeah, I have this problem as well.

k84

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 01:10:19 am »
So have i :-)
Sorry to say it, i have now tried this on two different computers, both installs have big issues,
even though i managed to get UI2 *the nice user interface in the video.
I never got more then a couple of frames a second on the menu\s.
That computer was a 2.8ghz intel P4, and an onboard i810 graphics card.

Moving on to the next computer, i now have either an failed to initialize openGL error, or sometimes the same error as the poster. Orbiter failed to setup transparency.
This computer is a 3.4ghz intel machine, with a pci-express gainward nvidia graphics board.  256mb ddr on it.

Looking forward til more guides, and howto,s since the installer doesnt seem to be able to correctly configure most devices?

Best Regards,

pestilence

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 01:32:50 am »
It set up the vesa driver even though I already had the nvidia module installed on the box.  I'm stuck at 'Orbiter failed to setup the transparency' also for now.  The web interface is working and I've changed the driver from vesa to nvidia though, so if someone figures out the transparency problem, I think I can get it working.

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 05:13:33 am »
Orbiter failed to setup transparency? should only appear when you choose ui2 with alpha blending.  only nvidia 6xxx and > greater support the xcomposite / transparency extensions.  If the installer correctly identified your nvidia card, the driver in xorg.conf should be 'nvidia'.

You can try using UI2 with masking, which doesn't use transparency.

Vogateer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 06:03:54 pm »
Mine is an ASUS M2NPV-VM, with GeForce 6150, and getting the same message. I think you have a similar mb, right? But yeah, it changed my video card to "Vesa" as well, changing it back to nVidia doesn't seem to help it get through that step, and one is a bit stuck there.

Where might one find the UI in the web admin, if that's possible? That would help me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 06:16:24 pm by Vogateer »

ColumbusGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 07:20:05 pm »
go to admin>wizard>devices>media directors

then find the UI drop down and change it to UI1.

sportman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 08:20:15 pm »
eww i got it working without the transparency ... so slow on that computer, i need to try and fix the video settings in ubuntu

Annon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 08:30:09 pm »
Yeah, switching to UI1 definitely helped my speed problems. There is a bunch of stuff that seems to crash the UI though.

sportman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 08:51:51 pm »
im trying to commendeer my dads computer for this, that way i have something that i can throw my tv tuner card in because with my laptop the only way i was going to use LinuxMCE is if i could get firewire capture from my hd box.

Wardy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 07:40:17 pm »
Orbiter failed to setup transparency? should only appear when you choose ui2 with alpha blending.  only nvidia 6xxx and > greater support the xcomposite / transparency extensions.  If the installer correctly identified your nvidia card, the driver in xorg.conf should be 'nvidia'.

You can try using UI2 with masking, which doesn't use transparency.

Could you clarify for me please?  Do ANY ATI cards at all have the ability to display UI2 with transparancy? 

Thanks,

Mark.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 07:53:34 pm »
they have this possibility but some of them with problems.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Wardy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 08:01:41 pm »
they have this possibility but some of them with problems.

Which ones have the possibility?  I have a Radeon 9500, is this too old?

Thanks,

Mark.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 08:08:30 pm »
i dont 'know how it is with the last version of drivers but with 8.27.10 there are problems from what i know. because, enabling transparency it will break direct rendering.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Wardy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 10:18:47 pm »
i dont 'know how it is with the last version of drivers but with 8.27.10 there are problems from what i know. because, enabling transparency it will break direct rendering.

Following some instructions on the ATI site I think I just managed to install 8.36.5 on a fresh Ubuntu 7.04 install, I'm getting "Proprietary Drivers in use" icon at the tip right of the screen, which I activated with the "Restricted Drivers Manager".

How can I tell what version of the drivers are installed?  I figured I'd try and get my hardware working on Ubuntu 7.04 ready for when the new "7.04 compatible LinuxMCE install" arrives in a few weeks time.

I know there are a couple of people who've successfully installed on 7.04 already, I may take a look at those threads if I feel brave later, but for now I'm interested in what graphic driver version I'm running and can't seem to find that info under Ubuntu.  I can't see anything that looks like the driver version info under System-Preferences-Hardware Information.

Anyone?

Many thanks,

Mark.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:21:27 pm by Wardy »