Author Topic: [SOLVED] Cisco 7970 - All click and No Orbit  (Read 4867 times)

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Cisco 7970 - All click and No Orbit
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:36:03 pm »
Trying to install my 7970 (actually it is a 7971G-GE). Have high hopes for making this an awesome phone and orbiter, but following the wiki only got me a few flashing buttons and clicking noises. I have downloaded the 101 page users guide and the 257 page admin guide and dug through endless websites trying to figure this thing out. It appears to retain its configuration from its previous owner. It also shows a locked padlock icon at upper right of the screen. I checked the admin guide and found that **# unlocks the settings. I also found the procedure for a factory reset on page 9-16 as follows:

When you perform a factory reset of the Cisco Unified IP Phone, the following information is erased or
reset to its default value:
• CTL file—Erased
• LSC—Erased
• User configuration settings—Reset to default values
• Network configuration settings—Reset to default values
• Call histories—Erased
• Locale information—Reset to default values
• Phone application—Erased (phone recovers by loading the appropriate default load file
     (term75.default.loads, term71.default.loads, term70.default.loads, term65.default.loads, or
    term45.default.loads) depending on the phone model)

Before you perform a factory reset, ensure that the following conditions are met:
• The phone must be on a DHCP-enabled network.
• A valid TFTP server must be set in DHCP option 150 or option 66 on the DHCP server.
• The default load file for your phone model and the files specified in that file should be available on
   the TFTP server that is specified by the DHCP packet.

Does LMCE meet the conditions required for a reset or is there additional software that I must load? Is a factory reset a bad idea? I don't want to make work for myself. Maybe I only have to manually enter a few configuration fields and the rest is automatically rewritten when it connects to LMCE. Also, the wiki says I must enter the converted MAC address (using the script) into the template. I notice there are many other MAC addresses in the template - should I delete all of these or add mine to them?

-Twodogs

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:46:51 pm by twodogs »
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Cisco 7970 - All click and No Orbit
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:00:35 pm »
Working now. This thing is pretty slick!

I did not do a factory reset. Just went into the phone's menu "Settings - Network Settings - DHCP" I hit **# to unlock, then I pressed "erase settings". This seemed to get rid of the previous locked and stored IP address. I added the mac address into the LMCE Cisco 7970 template (per the wiki). There were already a bunch of addresses, but I left these and added mine at the bottom.  I did not do a factory reset or anything else except plug into LMCE. The 7970 screen stayed black, and it seemed to power cycle about 30 times (I think this is what the phone does when it is loading software). Then the screen flashed a few times, then the software load box appeared in LMCE, then it requested to reload orbiter a few times. Then the phone stayed on for good and tried to register for a few minutes. After it registered I did another reload router and the orbiter screen popped up.

Twodogs
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101