Author Topic: 1004 install hangs on first boot after AVWIZARD configuration  (Read 2239 times)

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
1004 install hangs on first boot after AVWIZARD configuration
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:01:28 pm »
Hi all. The euphoria of Friday has sunk a little when I brought my new core home and tried to boot. The machine comes up and rushes through quite a few boot messages (starting this, starting that, quite a few **failed**) too fast to read really and then the screen goes blank.... and stays that way!

I try the AVWizard keys to switch signal and resolution but no response (not surprising because AVWizard has already run and completed), then I try to ctrl-alt-Fx to try to find a terminal session to log into and no dice there!

I try to ping the machine from another on the network but no response. Eventually forced to power it off.

So far:
1. Installed Kubuntu 1004, no sweat
2. run the install script as recommended in the wiki- success
3. reboot to AVWizard - slight issues as documented in other thread - just had to press 6 to see AVWizard
4. ran through all steps of AVWizard successfully and system appeared to be functioning well although, this was all done at work so no media directors or anything else set up, just floor plan and basic setup of core machine.
5. shutdown machine in possibly non-conventional fashion - ran
Code: [Select]
sudo shutdown -h now from kde terminal because I needed to leave in a hurry and don't yet know how to shutdown lmce cleanly.
6. started machine at home, eth0 plugged into adsl router and experienced above problem.

Attempts to troubleshoot-

I boot with the live DVD and mount the hard drive to check out the logs. I'm not really sure where the best place to look is, but in the "messages" log (/var/log/messages I think) it seems that each attempted boot's last message is
ip6_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team

Thereafter, the next message is from the next boot after I've powered it off.

To add to that, I see that in /usr/pluto there is a core dump file that corresponds with the time of the last message! So it looks as if the process running at that point crashes and I guess it is either the process associated with
ip6_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
or whatever follows that?

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

If I can't, I will try the whole thing again, I guess, but that install script took ages to download all the stuff so I don't look forward to that.

Thanks in advance for any pointers  :)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: 1004 install hangs on first boot after AVWIZARD configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:06:48 am »
What is the core file named?

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Re: 1004 install hangs on first boot after AVWIZARD configuration
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:18:31 am »
Actually, /usr/pluto/coredump is a symbolic link to

/home/coredump/1 (a folder which contains)

-rw------- 1 root root 28884992 2012-01-21 06:23 core_Picture_Viewer_1327127003_6
-rw------- 1 root root 28749824 2012-01-21 06:32 core_Picture_Viewer_1327127535_11
-rw------- 1 root root 49733632 2012-01-21 14:19 core_Picture_Viewer_1327155577_6

Does that mean anything to anyone?