Author Topic: UVC video cameras - Motion question  (Read 229007 times)

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
UVC video cameras - Motion question
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:11:42 pm »
I have purchased a bunch of logitech c910 cameras for myself and my family to use with skype. These cameras are HD and provide awesome quality video. My question, is there a way in LMCE to just view their output, I don't care about motion detection, or recording just want to use them as a monitor for the babies room, pets etc. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Kevin

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: UVC video cameras - Motion question
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:00:42 pm »
I've looked at those and they all use motion. I don't care about motion detection or recording what comes from the camera, i just want to view the live feed.

ladekribs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:35:26 pm »
Motion has a streaming functionality where you can open a browser to 192.168.80.1:8000 (increase 1 for each camera)
this feature  is enabled in Linuxmce(0810).

check the motion config files and also site lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

/etc/motion/thread0.conf will show setting

BR Stefan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:30:45 pm by ladekribs »

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 03:54:01 pm »
I'd like to view them from the security tab, I can always add them as an input source in myth, and use the zoneminder plugin, I would rather stick to lmce. I'll check out that link none the less.

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:07:56 am »
I had the Quickcam Pro 4000 working on 8.10 for live viewing. It wouldn't get categorized as a security motion trigger (or whatever it's called) even though you could see movement detection on the live view. But if I understand the none-working part is what you don't care about anyway.

I used the Sphere installation guide as they're both supported through PWC. If your camera is supported through UVC you might need to look at the 5000 link or search around on the net how a supported driver can be installed.

I _think_ once installed you can just add it to the Motion Wrapper and view it on the security tab.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:15:02 am by Schmich »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:05:28 am »
If somebody can write a radar that can return a list of detected USB cameras, then it can be integrated in the system, and we can make PnP of these devices, a reality.

I ask this of the community, because I can't write all this stuff at the same time, fellas. Please. Help out.

-Thom

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 05:12:12 pm »
Is there an example of this somewhere? If I get some time I can give it a try.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 05:17:01 pm »
any of the *Radar scripts that are in src/NetworkStorage src/PlutoStorageDevices, or src/BootScripts can serve as an example.

Basically, you find the devices using whatever method you wish, then you parse that data, and turn it into parameters for a Device Detected event, and send the message using MessageSend.

Device Detected events have a number of parameters that serve as constraints, and they are all ANDed together, ranging from MAC address, to an explicit device template #, to vendor/model ID pairs, etc.

The only thing needed would be a Generic USB Camera, which would create on the same machine, a motion wrapper, and as part of the script, re-set the parent device of the USB camera from the computer to the motion wrapper, along with device data tweaks so the appropriate behaviour would happen.

There is a script that does the latter in the tree, as part of Motion_Wrapper, but I forget what it is called.

-Thom