Author Topic: Prevent other users to delete files  (Read 4351 times)

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Prevent other users to delete files
« on: January 08, 2012, 08:16:15 am »
Hi Guys,

Is there a way to prevent users to delete files using an orbiter?
I.e when chosing a movie to watch, there are options :
Play, Move, Delete, Close.

I dont want other users to be able to delete or move files.

PS. My 2 step boys (5 & 8) accidently deleted some movies...... Wife not happy....  :(

Karel

Kezza

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Prevent other users to delete files
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:40:32 am »
I think there is another thread discussing this and from memory you cannot do it oob..... but I guess if really want it you could remove that button from the skin you use?

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:52:07 am »
I think I'll just do that.

Thanx

pointman87

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 11:03:48 am »
Hi. Another way is to use chmod and chown, chown user:group /path/to file and chmod 644 so other users can read, and only the owner of the file can delete it. appending chmod +t to a dir sets the same permissions to all files in that dir and makes it "sticky"

BR Daniel

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:54:22 pm »
If you have windows shares you can do what I did.  I gave the user that lmce uses to access the shares read and write permissions but NOT modify.  This allows lmce to create cd, dvd rips, and add id tag information but doesn't allow it to delete anything.  I think this is along the same lines as what Pointman is recommending but with his recommendation lmce might not be able to add or change content.  Pointman correct me if i'm wrong.

Also, if you're using a windows share, depending on your OS version, you can setup snap shots of your data and auditing.  This way if something was deleted or changed you can easily restore it after being notified by the auditing.  I have a 21.5TB storage solution so snap shots are easy for me.  Video files, depending on compression, are generally large files (as you already know) so you will require a decent amount of addition, unused space for snap shots.  How much space depends on how often you snapshot, how long you keep a snapshot and the over all size of your data.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 07:21:03 pm »
Is it me, or should this feature work oob? Maybe put it in feature request or make ticket?

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:31:36 pm »
Is it me, or should this feature work oob? Maybe put it in feature request or make ticket?

You're absolutle right, this should be implemented.  It'll have to be done at the samba level somehow so some one couldn't "accidentally" delete the file from \\dcerouter.