Author Topic: Which VOIP provider in the UK works with LMCE?  (Read 5036 times)

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Which VOIP provider in the UK works with LMCE?
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »
You may have read my other post here http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,12011.0.html

This is my sob story.

I have always used Vonage with a crappy old DECT phone, never any complaints, apart from not being able to integrate it with LMCE. She loved it. Wanting to utilise the notifications features in LMCE, I changed to sipgate.co.uk and to a Siemens Gigaset C475 IP phone. Since this I have had nothing but problems. I have never been able to integrate it with LMCE; the absolute best I have been able to achieve is outgoing calls only. This is the one thing that SWMBO needs to have working, and it is the only real LMCE-related sore point in my home. I can't wait to tell her about the billing attacks, as mentioned in my other post.

Is there any VOIP provider in the UK that is known to work with LMCE without the problems I and others have seen with sipgate.co.uk?

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
Re: Which VOIP provider in the UK works with LMCE?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:59:08 pm »
Hi Purps.

I am guessing then that you are uk based?

What are your requirements? I am guessing just the ability to make low priced voip calls and to have an inbound UK number in your local area?

Have you considered installing a X100P card into your core and connecting this to your landline? Or do you not have a landline?

Regards

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 10:44:05 am »
I am in the UK.

I do not have a landline, nor do I want one.

I just want to be able to make and receive calls, and to take advantage of the notifications feature of LMCE (that's why I got rid of a perfectly good Vonage setup). I don't even care about the calls being cheap at this moment in time, I just want something that works before I become a single man.

Cheers,
Matt.

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:54:32 pm »
Hi Purps

I dont blame you not having a landline. I simply had a cable modem in my last house and everything over voip.
I have recently moved and unfortunatly Cable is not available where I am and im am stuck with having to have a bt line to get a pathetic 3mb a sec max adsl, quite a downgrade from 30mb cable! Oh well an indoor swimming pool kinda helps to make up for it!!

Anyway back to providers.

As I have said in a previous post I own and run a VOIP Telco in the UK

We are not really setup for domestic users at the moment, though this is planned for some point in the first half of next year.

However for users of this forum I am happy to provide a service. I can provide inbound numbers with a UK Geographic number from anywhere in the uk free of charge and competitive call rates.

Unfortunatly at the moment there is no way to automatically top up accounts, this would have to be done either by bank transfer or paypal and I would have to manually credit it to your account. However I do have a portal where you can log in to see call details, I should warn that this is very basic at this stage.

I am happy to work with anyone to get this working with LMCE, however I have customers using freePBX with our servie so there shouldnt be too much problems.

I am running 1004 and Asterisk is not working in 1004 at present but once it is I will be using it myself.

If you are interested then please leave me a private message and I can get a test account setup for you or anyone else wishing to use my service.

Regards

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:52:39 pm »
fibres,

Apologies for the radio silence.

My 810 installation is slowing coming along, and I would very much like to explore the option you have mentioned please, if the offer still stands. The lack of automatic top up does not bother me one bit.

Cheers,
Matt.

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »
Hi MAtt

Sorry for delay in reply. I have been away from linuxmce for a month or so. I went on holiday mid october and been so busy with my business since then I not had much time.

The offer still stands and actually we are in middle of launching the full system, which will hopefully be live by the begining-end of january.

Drop me a private message letting me know what area code you want and Ill get you a test account setup soon as I can.

Regards

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:38:54 pm »
Hi Matt,

I have an alternative suggestion for you! I have a nearly identical setup as you with the exception of a happy wife and my C475IP on the external network.

I use voipcheap.co.uk for all outgoing calls and my sipgate.co.uk local number for incoming calls. We have 4 phones spread around and I don't see the advantage of having them linked to lmce.

With voipcheap I pay £12.50 (I think) which gives me 90 days of free calls (except mobiles which are around 3.5p/pm) after which time my credit is slowly used up at very low rates. I have the credit automatically top up when the balance drops below £1 and voila .... 90 more free days. We're not big phone users and our £12.50 lasts us over 5 months.

Because the phone is attached to our virgin router it never goes down and always just works. Including multiple outgoing/incoming calls at the same time.

Just attach the C475IP to your external router and forward the relevant ports to the phones IP address. I know this doesn't strictly answer your question but I think it will solve your problem!
Barney
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:20:59 pm by b4rney »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 04:24:39 pm »
Don't see the advantage of linking them to LinuxMCE? Really?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNaWUM4bX3I

....okay then,
-Thom

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:00:18 pm »
Hi Barney, long time no speak. Thanks for your suggestion; do you mean to say that neither VOIP service is integrated into LMCE? I appreciate what you are saying, but the integration is important to me as I want to take advantage of the notifications feature when I am away from the house. Of course it would be nice to make use of the various other features as well, but notifications is the main one for me. Otherwise, I would still be using Vonage and a crappy DECT phone (it never missed a beat).

fibres, no apology required, I will drop you a message in the near future. There is absolutely no rush at my end - looking at trying a 1004 installation soon, plus will be moving soon, so will keep you posted. Thank you.

Cheers,
Matt.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 12:58:20 pm »
@Thom ... Let me re-word it ... I can't see the advantage of lmce integration vs confrontation with SWMBO. As neat as it is my wife just wants to pick up a phone and dial/answer.

@Matt You could try voipcheap as an alternative provider from within lmce and see if you have any more luck, but it seems it is the incoming calls you are struggling with. I don't think they offer incoming numbers.

Barney