Author Topic: Squeezeslave On The Core - Installation Question  (Read 4562 times)

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Squeezeslave On The Core - Installation Question
« on: July 12, 2011, 02:58:29 pm »
There are many topics on this subject.  Many are old and reference several versions of LinuxMCE.  This one is in regard to 8.10, as of this writing.

I successfully installed squeezeslave on my core.  I know it is successfully installed because I received no errors upon installation and I can access it from outside of my LinuxMCE network by going to http://192.168.0.191:9000 which is the static IP assigned by my router to the core.  I can stream music and radio stations from my Window and Mac PCs on my LAN.

Here's the problem...

When I did this part, direct from the Wiki:
Setting Up LinuxMCE

Next step, manually add the squeezeslave to linuxmce as a squeezebox using the mac address you gave it. The squeezebox player can be assigned to a room/entertainment area without an MD, in fact this would be a typical installation.
Select Device

Select Device->A/V Equipment
    Select SqueezeBox Player from the dropdown options
    Assign it to a room and entertainment area.
    Regen your orbiters and reload the router.

Restart the core to make sure it's starting automatically, to run it manually just run the line made in the rc.local
Nothing showed up on the Orbiters under Media or anywhere else.  I assumed it was suppose to install a button for a squeezebox player, however, the wiki is not detailed as to what I should expect.

When I installed Hulu it added a button which brings up the Hulu player.  What should have occurred?  So the squeezeslave is installed and can be accessed from outside the system by other PCs but what about sending media from within LinuxMCE?

I hope someone can help.  
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:12:36 am by rocketlynx »

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Squeezeslave On The Core - Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:31:05 pm »
I got this working following this wiki
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Squeezeslave_on_the_core

On completion, I then assigned to a room; created one to follow my location as I already had an MD in that particular room.

The only part that did not work for me, is the entry in /etc/rc.local, which for now I commented out; I start it manually if I reboot the core, should look into but time does not permit.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Squeezeslave On The Core - Installation
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:59:53 pm »
I got this working following this wiki

On completion, I then assigned to a room; created one to follow my location as I already had an MD in that particular room.

The only part that did not work for me, is the entry in /etc/rc.local, which for now I commented out; I start it manually if I reboot the core, should look into but time does not permit.
Just to be clear, I assigned it to the room "Control Room" which is where my core is.  I gave it a MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:01, of which is assigned to the squeezeslave.  The command in the file rc.local (/usr/bin/squeezeslave -o17 -m 00:00:00:00:00:01 -r5 -M/var/log/squeezeslave.log) works for me. Upon reboot, the squeezeslave running on the core initializes. From any web browser on my LAN I can go to http://192.168.0.191:9000 and then send, for example, internet radio to the squeezeslave and it comes out of my core's audio port.

I'm just asking should it have assigned a button on any Orbiter's Media area for using it through LinuxMCE.  Do I have to create anything else like a child device manually?  How do you use it within LinuxMCE?

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Squeezeslave On The Core - Installation Question
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:32:56 pm »
You won't see a specific button for the squeezebox/squeezeslave. But the room to which you have assigned it will now have an "Audio" button on the media row of the orbiter screen.
In your case you have assigned it to "Control Room" - select that room on your orbiter, then press Audio, now when you select a track to play you will hear it from the output specified, in your case output 17.

-Coley.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 05:57:06 am »
You won't see a specific button for the squeezebox/squeezeslave. But the room to which you have assigned it will now have an "Audio" button on the media row of the orbiter screen.
In your case you have assigned it to "Control Room" - select that room on your orbiter, then press Audio, now when you select a track to play you will hear it from the output specified, in your case output 17.

-Coley.
Thanks for the above help. I did just that and now I have a Audio button on the orbiter of which I can select an audio track (Ripped Music) but still nothing comes out of the audio port!  Again, if I go to my Squeezeslave On The Core at http://192.168.0.191:9000, the SqueezeBox Server comes up in the browser and I can select any Radio Station and it will output the sound out of the assigned audio port and that works great so I know the squeezeslave is setup correctly.

There is something else wrong in my setup because LinuxMCE is not streaming it correctly to the squeezeslave on the core.  What am I missing? 

My LinuxMCE SqueezeBox Player, which is using the Template "SqueezeBox Player #58" is as follows:

Description *    
Device Template    SqueezeBox Player #58    
Device Template Comments    
This device is controlled via    Slim Server Streamer
Room                                        Backyard Music
Entertain areas                            Back Yard Music
Manually Configure EA    
IP Address    
MAC Address                             00:00:00:00:00:01
Ignore On/Off    On  Off:
Reconfigure device
Use 5 second pings to ensure connection stays alive.
State    
Status    
Disabled

It seams that Squeezeslave is working on the core, SqueezeBox Player is working but the Slim Server Streamer may be the problem and I can't seam to figure it out.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:26:41 am »
Do you have a Media Director assigned to the backyard music area as well?

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:13:41 pm »
Do you have a Media Director assigned to the backyard music area as well?
No.  I created another room, Back Yard Music, and assigned the SqueezeBox Player to the new room and Entertainment Area as per the Wiki.
Setting Up LinuxMCE

Next step, manually add the squeezeslave to linuxmce as a squeezebox using the mac address you gave it. The squeezebox player can be assigned to a room/entertainment area without an MD, in fact this would be a typical installation.
Select Device

Select Device->A/V Equipment
    Select SqueezeBox Player from the dropdown options
    Assign it to a room and entertainment area.
    Regen your orbiters and reload the router.

Restart the core to make sure it's starting automatically, to run it manually just run the line made in the rc.local

Here are three images of my setup:

I had nothing coming out of the output until I entered the MAC address into the SqueezeBox Player (which was not mentioned in the wiki) , then I could at least access the Squeezeslave On The Core at 192.168.0.191:9000 of which is my Cores external IP, accessible from any computer on my external network, and see the player and send it, at least, Radio stations to prove it is working by hearing the radio feed out of the assigned port.  I even tried entering the MAC address into the Slim Server Streamer, as you an see from the installation template but it didn't help.  So it be there, should I remove that entry?

I know I'm missing something I need to do to correct this problem, but I just can't put my finger on it!

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:16:48 pm by rocketlynx »