Author Topic: Denon Amp HDMI output problem  (Read 3441 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Denon Amp HDMI output problem
« on: May 19, 2011, 10:51:23 pm »
I have a Denon 2310 which is controlled by lmce and I use the hdmi output from the denon to my LG TV (also controlled by lmce).

The Denon amp has multiple video inputs which it can output to the LG via its single hdmi output.

Here's the problem ...
The md is asleep. I press menu on my remote (gyration) which turns on the LG and the Denon amp and switches the denon's video input to v.aux (my core's hdmi output) and the audio/spdif input (from my core) to my ceiling speakers.

When the TV has turned on all I can see is a Denon logo. At this point I can do 2 things.
1. Use the Denon's IR remote to change the input source to something different .... then back again and it works.
2. Wait ... for the screensaver to kick in (10 minutes) and my screensaver appears. Then it works.

Another workaround is to use the core hdmi output directly to the TV (I've done this for over a year), but this limits the flexibility of having multiple inputs on the Denon.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Denon Amp HDMI output problem
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:54:09 am »
What happens when you play a movie without doing anything to the Denon?

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 01:13:44 pm »
Hi,

Can you change the power on sequence to have the Denon start first then have the LG turn on?  (Might need a timed delay for the LG 1 to 2 secs.)

LG tv's can be a little funny when it comes to detecting inputs. 

If an input is not active when the television first comes on, the source will be "grey" when you pull up the LG input menu.

When an input is active it is "coloured" or "highlighted" and is also displayed on the far left of the input bar.

The inactive "greyed out" inputs are to the right of the active inputs.

When the Denon starts second, the input for it on the LG may not be active so the LG could choose another active input - this gets resolved by you manually switching back to the now active Denon input.

Hope this helps.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:13:39 pm »
Thanks guys,

@posde
Just used the web orbiter to select and play a movie. When I clicked play the TV turned on, I could hear the sound but the picture was just the Denon screensaver. Each time I stop the video and then select another and press play the LG briefly flashes HDMI2 and 576i (the selected input and received resolution) but only the screen saver displays.

@pigdog
The LG is correctly displaying the selected input but for some reason the Denon is not outputting the correct video signal. It could be a similar scenario but it might be the Denon that does not detect

It's weird that when the screensaver kicks in the md signal suddenly appears. I guess I need to figure out what command the md sends when the screensaver starts.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 02:55:55 am »
Hi,

This is a really big link but page 68 has ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17512496#post17512496

... but before you get overwhelmed.

576i is odd but the TV resolution can report changes from 480p to 1080i, 720p, 1080p etc depending upon the signal sent.

For example, you may have a blu-ray movie where the trailers plays in 480p with 2 channel stereo but when the actual blu-ray movie plays it is in 1080p with 5.1 DTS.

So, one other question is what are the brand, model number of your BD/DVD player?  Is it a BD player?

Are you HDMI from the BD/DVD to the Denon?

One thing with LG televisions is that unlike other manufactures the LG CEC link control (SIMLINK or something like that) is that built into the TV not the blu-ray players.

If it is a BD player have you tried it turned off (SIMLINK) to see if it makes any difference?

Cheers.