Author Topic: Modifying Core Maintenance Internet Download times  (Read 3033 times)

nzlneil

• View Profile
Modifying Core Maintenance Internet Download times
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:44:32 am »
Due to me having un-metered internet access provided by my ISP between 6am and 8am in the morning, I am wanting to change the times that the core downloads the updates for the MD's and itself to this un-metered time.

Is there a solution already built into the core to achieve this, or will I have to edit the relevant times that the daily cron jobs run? (I have had a look on the wiki and forum but could only find information on the update process itself, not how to change it's activation time.)
If I do this manually, will the core put the config back on a reboot, or will it stay as I would like it?

On the same note, it would also be nice to change the time that it downloads the flicker images to the same window time as well. I'm not sure if this is a cron job, or something downloads when the process is active in showing images.

What other things does the core do on a timed basis that I can schedule during this time to reduce the internet use on my account?

Regards

Neil

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Modifying Core Maintenance Internet Download times
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21:22 pm »
Due to me having un-metered internet access provided by my ISP between 6am and 8am in the morning, I am wanting to change the times that the core downloads the updates for the MD's and itself to this un-metered time.

Is there a solution already built into the core to achieve this, or will I have to edit the relevant times that the daily cron jobs run? (I have had a look on the wiki and forum but could only find information on the update process itself, not how to change it's activation time.)
If I do this manually, will the core put the config back on a reboot, or will it stay as I would like it?

On the same note, it would also be nice to change the time that it downloads the flicker images to the same window time as well. I'm not sure if this is a cron job, or something downloads when the process is active in showing images.

What other things does the core do on a timed basis that I can schedule during this time to reduce the internet use on my account?

I don't believe that any 'automatic update' process is currently in place, even though there are methods in place they are not currently used.  All system upgrades must currently be initiated manually by a user at a command prompt.  Most configuration files are overwritten on a reboot or package upgrade, do not expect changes to config files to be permanent.

As for the flickr downloads, look into the flickr script to see how it operates, it may be alterable.

As far as I am aware there is nothing else the core would do 'automatically' with your internet connection.

J.

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:58:57 am »
The flickr script can be disabled in the web admin btw, Files & Media -> Screen saver.

sambuca

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:29:00 am »
The flickr script can enabled and disabled from the commandline using
Code: [Select]
/usr/pluto/bin/flickr_status.sh -enableand
Code: [Select]
/usr/pluto/bin/flickr_status.sh -disable
put those commands into some cron config and you should be fine. Easier than letting cron click links in the web admin :D

nzlneil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:31:59 am »
Thanks for that. I have also found that this runs (by default at 3:13am) '/etc/cron.d/LMCEUpdate_DownloadXml' which basically runs this '/usr/pluto/bin/LMCEUpdate'
I've changed the time of this to run later in the day. I have also enabled and disabled flicker between these times, so will see how that goes.
I have also put in a cron to run DownloadUpdates.sh during this time as well so will have to keep an eye out in the logs for conflicts during the running window.

I'll keep looking at the other cron jobs to see what they are up to during the day and see if there is anything else that should be changed on my system to run in my window that I have.

Thanks for the pointers.

Neil