Author Topic: WebDT  (Read 3890 times)

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
WebDT
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:28:32 am »
I'm getting ready to buy 2 more orbiters and I'm torn between the webdt and andriod tablets. I was hoping I could get some feed back from people who has a WebDT regarding battery time.  My WebDT dies in about 15 mins when off the charger and I noticed from Thoms YouTube video his does the same.  Thom did a awesome job on this orbiter, my only complaint is my orbiter is constantly tethered to the wall (i know that's not Thoms fault).  I'm torn between buying 2 webdt with a new battery for my current one or 2 Android tablets.  So how long does your WebDT last on Battery power? 

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: WebDT
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 04:30:05 am »
No long enough that I don't need the cradles.  Mine seem to last a little more than 30 mins.  They usually live on their cradles.

J.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 06:14:07 am »
I have been writing a new version of PadOrbiter, for devices that can run MeeGo.

Currently, I have targeted the O2 Joggler, the eXoPC Tablet, and the Archos 9 Tablet. These devices have accellerated video output, and can not only function as orbiters, but also have the capability of becoming fully functional endpoints, with excellent battery life to top it all off.

-Thom

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 04:14:54 pm »
I usually have mine tethered, but sometimes when watching a movie I leave it unplugged and it lasts the whole movie... so I would say mine lasts anywhere from 30-120 mins...

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »
If i can get 120 mins that might be worth a new battery for my current orbiter.  I'll still need at least two more though.

Thom - Don't take offence but how far along are you with that project?  Depending on how long the wait is I'd be willing to get one of those devices now and help you test.  The  Archos 9 and the O2 Joggler are my top choices from that list.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:54 pm »
I already have kickstart files that you can slam to a USB stick, here:
http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-0810/src/MeeGo

(these are early versions, feel free to refine them more, if i don't get back to them first.)

This is not the end all be all. the PadOrbiter v2 work is intended as a launching platform for new orbiter tech, but I needed to get the old stuff running on it for now.

These files can be processed by mic-image-creator (MeeGo Image Creator), into complete USB images with the -f liveusb switch, and can be installed onto the device. For now, you will need to attach a USB keyboard to select the Install option at bootup.

The point being, that there is enough here, that any device that runs MeeGo can be turned into an orbiter by writing a kickstart for it.

Do not use orbiterplus, unless you are prepared to dig into it yourself and understand how it works. I will not expound upon it further.

-Thom

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 05:12:00 pm »
am I correct in assuming that padOrbiter V2 is not for the webDts... right?

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 05:42:58 pm »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 06:04:34 pm »
I've carried the WebDT as far as it can go.  When the WebDT 366's first appeared on the second hand market, there wasn't a big market for the tablets yet, few were selling or even making mention they had them. I custom fit the application for the device, with no room to spare.

Now, with bigger and better, and in many cases, cheaper hardware, that is capable of much more, I need to rethink the tablet's role in the house. This is PadOrbiter V2's purpose.

I will provide updates for Orbiter to get new screens as they are added...but I need to start work on new orbiter research, and I can't do that on the WebDT 366.

-Thom