Author Topic: KDE oddities  (Read 1803 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
KDE oddities
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:03:39 pm »
On all of the 1080p TVs I have set up, during AV Wizard I have to drop the viewing area 5 sizes (-), the result leaves the KDE screen too large to display everything. In the beginning I tried screwing with video settings with some fairly disastrous results. Switching back and forth is also odd, and after a few log ins... NOTHING will kill KDE by itself. It will not "log off", init 3 doesn't stop it... kde stop doesn't kill it, /etc/init.d/kdm stop returns:
"Stopping K Display Manager: kdm not running (/var/run/kdm.pid not found)." And indeed it is not. If I hit ctrl alt backspace KDE dies but takes LMCE with it. For these reasons I do not ever enter the desktop environment. I am curious if others have had this experience, as it is always the same for me, regardless of the equip I use. I am going to try and develop, at the very least, a widget that switches from the desktop back to LMCE gracefully. I did this a long time ago, but was lost in one of many re-installs.
I never quit... I just ping out.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: KDE oddities
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:42:50 pm »
/usr/pluto/bin/ActivateOrbiterFromKDE.sh

Place a shortcut to it on the Desktop.  Running this will gracefully switch back to the LMCE orbiter from KDE. 

Your other video issues with the KDE screen being to large are due to TV overscan issues, some TVs allow you to turn overscan off completely (such as newer Panasonic Plasmas), otherwise I don't believe there is an 'easy' solution.

J.