Author Topic: [Solved-not really sure why] -- Diskless Setup failed  (Read 5364 times)

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
[Solved-not really sure why] -- Diskless Setup failed
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:28:46 pm »
Hello All, I have a core and a media director. The installation of LMCE for the core seemed fine. I ran the "Diskless" install script and that seemed to go well.  My MD is my old MythTV box. It tries to netboot for the MD but the screen says "Diskless Setup failed" just a few seconds after it says "Running Diskless_Setup.sh". I found a few things on the wiki and in the forum but none of them seem to work.  What I have tried detailed here (http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8425.msg61787#msg61787) and here (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Diskless_setup_failed_error_in_0810_beta). Everything seems to be in order according to what I read but it doesn't work. I don't know what information I need to post (logs or whatever) to ask for help. If you tell me what I need to post, I will do my best.

Thanks,
M.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:29:58 pm by MDH »

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: Diskless Setup failed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:23:04 pm »
When you ran the script on the Core for setting up diskless MDs, how long did it take to run through?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:26:24 pm »
Somewhere between an hour to two hours.  I have a slow internet connection.

Thanks,
M.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:54:42 pm »
Well that's about the right kind of time. Do you have any other MDs you can try, laptop for example?

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:00:28 am »
hmmmm...maybe. I can try my wifes laptop, as long as it doesn't break it.  :-)
I will try and let you know.

Thanks,

M.

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:06:34 am »
Well that's about the right kind of time. Do you have any other MDs you can try, laptop for example?

I tried it on my wife's laptop and it did the same thing.  It did have a different IP address and MD number so that part seems to be fine.

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:59:51 pm »
I switched places with my Core and MD.  In other words, I did a clean install on what was going to be my MD.  Everything installed fine up until the reboot after running the install script from the desktop.  It says "Failed to Startup X" when I tried to reboot.  I am searching the forums and wiki now to try to fix it.
I will post with how it goes.

Thanks,
M.

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved-not really sure why] -- Diskless Setup failed
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:33:57 pm »
I reinstalled LMCE snapshot 23614 onto my Core and it seemed to work fine this time.  I don't know what the original issue was except for just some kind of glitch during installation.

I used my wife's MS Vista laptop to test and it broke it.  When I rebooted into Windblows, it went into repair mode and had to take it back to a previous restore point.  I don't think I will do that again.  :-)

Thanks,

M.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »
Check if your dhcp is running in webadmin.

MDH1966

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:30:38 pm »
Check if your dhcp is running in webadmin.

I'll rephrase since what I wrote didn't seem to say what I meant.  When I netbooted my wife's laptop to the core, it worked fine.  I had to start the DHCP in the webadmin plus my network cards were listed backwards so I had to switch them (in the webadmin).  Once I did that, everything worked.  But when I shut down the laptop and booted up in winblows, it said that the files had changed and it had to repair them.  Fortunately for my own health and marital status, Vista was able to repair the install and the laptop works fine now. I won't be trying that again with my wife's laptop. (whew)

M.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:38 pm »
MD install doesn't touch HD in client.
Fire your wife.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 10:41:04 am »
In my experience vista and 7 doesn't like you to do ANYTHING without it needing a quick "repair", but installing an MD definitely shouldn't cause any problems.

I assume you had to change boot orders, maybe enabled onboard ROM etc before you could use the laptop as an MD? That might be enough for windoze to go willy tits, but if you put everything back the way it was before you re-boot vista, it shouldn't have caused a problem.

Cheers,
Matt.