Author Topic: Myth settings under wizard panel?  (Read 4803 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Myth settings under wizard panel?
« on: January 05, 2007, 03:28:56 pm »
While doing an initial setup of Pluto, I've gone to the "Myth Settings" link under the left-hand Wizard panel.  But all I get in the main panel (where the options for the choosen wizard would be displayed), there is nothing: blank.  Is something really supposed to be there?  How does one configure MythTV under Pluto?

Pat

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:05:18 pm »
I'm assuming you've done a Hybrid install (as opposed to a standalone Core, though I'm not sure that it makes a difference for configuration).  At any rate, from your Core/Hybrid, click Computing then click MythTV Setup.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:47:09 pm »
Quote from: "Bandito"
I'm assuming you've done a Hybrid install (as opposed to a standalone Core, though I'm not sure that it makes a difference for configuration).  At any rate, from your Core/Hybrid, click Computing then click MythTV Setup.

No.  I very specifically choose to do a core only install, as I'm explicitly looking for a client/server based home control system, which Pluto claims to be.  The number one thing on my list of things to get setup was MythTV, but that seems to be the most inaccessible part thus far.

Pat

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
MythTV is glitchy
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 06:55:07 pm »
The mythtv part of Pluto does seem to be the most glitchy.  I finally gave up on it for now and went back to Snapstream and windoze.  I could never get it to see my capture card.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV is glitchy
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:31:59 pm »
Quote from: "Harq"
The mythtv part of Pluto does seem to be the most glitchy.  I finally gave up on it for now and went back to Snapstream and windoze.  I could never get it to see my capture card.

That's not very reassuring.  If Myth can't (doesn't) work with Pluto, that would be a deal-breaker.  Bummer.  What *should* the Myth wizard display?  

Pat

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 07:38:02 pm »
I haven't had any real issues getting Myth up.  I'm definitely not using it to its full extent right now, but getting it to playback live tv wasn't an issue at all.  I just went through the Myth Setup, then launched TV.

Here's the thing though... since you've set up your Pluto box as Core only, you have no Media Director (MD) functionality there.  And since you aren't using Pluto's DHCP server, you can't set up a diskless MD.  This means that at this point in time you're probably unable to play back media of any sort, which includes MythTV.

Being pretty new to Pluto myself and a long-time Windows user, I'd recommend that you rebuild your Core as a Core/Hybrid.  Once you're familiar with Pluto and everything it does, then maybe rebuild it back as a Core.  It'll be extra work in the long run, but it should also prevent you from banging your head against a wall.  Hell, even as a Hybrid it still retains all the Core functionality, so if you never have a monitor connected to it you should still be ok for the most part (though I have noticed that some PnP alerts only occur on the screen of my Hybrid and not on other Orbiters, but that should only matter when adding new devices).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 08:22:54 pm »
Quote from: "Bandito"
I haven't had any real issues getting Myth up.  I'm definitely not using it to its full extent right now, but getting it to playback live tv wasn't an issue at all.  I just went through the Myth Setup, then launched TV.

How do you get to the Myth setup?  When I go to the Myth link under the wizards panel on the left side of the web administration tool, but the panel where options are usually displayed and set is completely blank.  Nothing.  All the other wizards have something in there, even if it isn't much.  But the Myth wizard has nada.

Here's the thing though... since you've set up your Pluto box as Core only, you have no Media Director (MD) functionality there.  And since you aren't using Pluto's DHCP server, you can't set up a diskless MD.  This means that at this point in time you're probably unable to play back media of any sort, which includes MythTV.

Any idea why it would be that an MD requires the Pluto core to be in charge of DHCP in order to have diskless MDs?  

Pat

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 08:35:55 pm »
Quote from: "pfurrie"
How do you get to the Myth setup?  When I go to the Myth link under the wizards panel on the left side of the web administration tool, but the panel where options are usually displayed and set is completely blank.  Nothing.  All the other wizards have something in there, even if it isn't much.  But the Myth wizard has nada.

You have to use an Orbiter to set it up.  This is why I was suggesting that you go the Hybrid route.  I'm not sure if you even get a UI with just the Core.  The Hybrid loads an OnScreen Orbiter right away and you configure it from there.  If you set up an Orbiter to run on a Windows box you might be able to do the Myth setup from there as well.

Any idea why it would be that an MD requires the Pluto core to be in charge of DHCP in order to have diskless MDs?

It uses PXE (Preboot eXecution Environment).  This adds a bunch of options to your DHCP scope.  I'm sure you could add those options manually on your existing W2K3 DHCP server, but I'm not sure which additional options are enabled, nor what settings to use for those options.  Using Pluto as your DHCP simplifies the process considerably.