Author Topic: managing files remotely  (Read 2947 times)

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
managing files remotely
« on: December 12, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »
I am currently using LMCE as an automation controller and media server. Basically it is currently set up as a core (though it's installed as a hybrid from the dvd) providing DHCP to 4 windows boxes. 2 of these are laptops on a wireless network and 2 are a desktop configuration which I would eventually like to network boot. I haven't gotten that working yet on this install. Something to do with network drivers on the boot image. In any case when I switched to using Windows on some other boxes I had to convert the .dvd movie files to .mpg so i could play them on windows. a few of those files did not convert smoothly and so they hang, skip around or terminate early.

I am re-ripping those as i find them to correct the issue. So here is my question. I do not have a monitor, keyboard etc plugged into the core. I as I find a corrupt movie, I need to be able to delete the old file and replace it with a good rip. I don't want to have to lug out a keyboard and accessories every time, I would like to be able to delete the files over the network, so that I can drop the new files on. I can create files remotely, but i do not have permission to delete them. I have tried to delete them through the admin website, but that doesn't seem to actually do anything. ssh has trouble with the LMCE-given names of movie storage drives and will not let me access them because of the (sdxx) portion. doesn't like the (). Using Nautilus or windows explorer on another machine gets the permissions error as well.

I am sure that ssh should work and that would be fine, but I have tried using a quotation, \, /dev/sdxx, and I cannot seem to get to the files.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: managing files remotely
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:09:35 pm »
Why are you trying to access the files via /dev/sd....? Are they not in your /home/public for example? Any permission problems, give it a bit of sudo. This has always worked for me when moving/deleting files/directories.

If you don't like the command line stuff, you can always access the core from another computer via Nautilus (in "Network" or whatever it is called).

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:13:49 am »

I will post an example tomorrow to show you what I mean.

Thanks though.

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:03:49 pm »
OK,

I each movie is in it's own directory because of another media management program that I use on another system that accesses this server.

LMCE will not allow me to delete the movie directory through the admin website, which is what I was trying to do, but it will allow me to delete the actual movie file. That is close enough, I can reuse the rest of the info in the folder anyway.

Thanks again Matt.

chemdtn687

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:03:00 pm »
Use VNC ... put core into desktop, install / enable vnc and you can port that way to enable a nice desktop enviornment to work in... my only issue is with the K environment.. been using Gnome too long... but going with SSH terminal is by far the quickest.
John Middleton