Author Topic: Got a new one for anyone who'd like to tackle it.  (Read 3801 times)

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Got a new one for anyone who'd like to tackle it.
« on: December 11, 2010, 12:25:44 am »
My install has been running great no real big problems until now. I tried installing some more dvd's to my library when the system prompted me that the disc was too scratched whatnot to read and install. So after waiting for about 1/2 hr and no response from the system to let me eject disc what not I had to press the reset button. Which upon reboot it laods to the normal screensaver background all my other computers on my internal network work, then when you try to click on any menus you get nothing and then a blank screen. Pressing alt f1 gets me this Ext3-fs error (device sda1):ext3_find_entry:reading directory#56583363 offset 0, over and over again cannot login to router here or through the internet screen? And now nothing works except the screensaver image? Is there a way to roll-back or what ever to recover if there was an error? Because after loading about 100 movies and having my entire house setup and running i would hate to have to reinstall? Like I said it has been working flawless but now I am at a loss here, everything on the core is brand new, mobo, hard drive, mem, cpu, case? After searching a bit more I am thinking it might be the hard drive, nothing worse than a brand new hard drive crapping after 30 days!!!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:00:47 am by jaynkeel »

chemdtn687

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Got a new one for anyone who'd like to tackle it.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 03:23:04 am »
It sounds like you were in a write operation when you did a hot shutdown...
This process below MAY or MAY NOT help.
Boot into terminal... Use kubuntu live cd

run
$ sudo e2fsck -pcf /dev/sda1
$ sudo badblocks -sv /dev/sda1

Reboot.
If you can now boot into system and it is operational as far as you can tell...
CREATE A RECOVERY DISK and BACK UP operation system!!
You May be correct in suspecting a HD issue... bad blocks and all... I always recommend to anyone that you should only have hda1 be large enough for the root file system and swap....

You should put all your data on an entirely different disk... That way you can easily back up your working root system... and you can always repair what necessary files that may fail on hdb1... With Drives ranging into the TB sizes they have not become anymore or less reliable but the ratio of failed sectors/cylinders/disks VS size creates An exponential increase in the amount of data corruption in MB.

I remember saving my $ up to get that Enormous 50MB Western Digital...:) I thought that drive would last forever... How could you ever use that much space... ;)

John Middleton

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 07:38:21 am »
Thanks for the heads up chem. I bit the bullet and warranted the hd. Figured all I really had invested was time as the movies are still hard copied on dvd. Still stunk though. That a good idea about running multiple hd's. It would be a tight fit in the case I have right now but might be possible worth a thought for sure. 

chemdtn687

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:54:00 am »
Good to know that you are not totally disheartened about starting all over again... Just an FYI on the space issue.. I took a HD out of an old laptop (80 gig) and used a simple cheap converter to hook to SATA on MB. I literally used some good double sided tape to mount it to case ::) .. Though it sound cheesy, it worked famously. 2 years with no issues.

Hope the reinstall goes smoth

Che'
John Middleton

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 08:03:17 am »
Ya my only concern is the power supply being smallish in a small case and running low on power for everything. I'd just might have to crunch some numbers and see what I have to play with. I'm sure I could tuck a regular hd where the dvd drive would normally go, mines external. I do have a monster tower on the network but last install I was having problems file sharing maybe this time around I will have better luck though.

chemdtn687

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:15:25 am »
yea... I did a very long dialog on my new 810 install in the user section ... was hoping to get input as I went but apparently I proceeded faster than I could get answers. I did manage to get my main network to integrate with LMCE.. Was kind of surprised  that it worked out like it did considering that it was my first attempt to make the 2 networks transparent to a degree. Still resolving how I got it to work in case I have any future issues with it. MCE relies so heavily with samba database entries with corresponding Core templates.. Still Trying to wrap my head around the MCE approach after a year of running 710. I'm starting to get there though..
John Middleton

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 07:29:43 pm »
Well its good to be back up and running, took your advice and put the operating system on one hd and put the additional hd in for storing media. Now just have to get back to ironing out the problems with being able to detect media on my other computer but not able to transfer or play it on the mce system. Once again thanks for the ideas.