Author Topic: Preliminary 10.04  (Read 31568 times)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Preliminary 10.04
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 10:19:49 am »
Would you be interested in text files that captured the output of my failed attempt at installing lmce over 10.04?  I am not asking for help.  I am just trying to pass on info if you want it.

Not really. We've got tons of logs of failed attempts ourselves atm :) But feel free to come by in the irc -devel channel, and work with us by testing the stuff over and over, and giving live feedback.

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 12:58:31 am »
I just want to make sure im on the same page as everyone else. In Thom's first post in this thread he said that 1004 would be build on top of ubuntu, but the wiki states kubuntu. I was just wanted to know, who is correct?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 02:40:04 am »
it's Kubuntu.

-Thom

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 06:20:15 am »
Would you be interested in text files that captured the output of my failed attempt at installing lmce over 10.04?  I am not asking for help.  I am just trying to pass on info if you want it.

Not really. We've got tons of logs of failed attempts ourselves atm :) But feel free to come by in the irc -devel channel, and work with us by testing the stuff over and over, and giving live feedback.

When do you usually get together to do this?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 03:26:10 pm »
24/7 ;)

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 03:31:04 pm »
I have been in there a few times, last night was the latest, and have not seen much talk about it.  Given the nature of some of the posts in this thread I was hesitant to ask how it was going.  I was in linuxmce and linuxmce-dev.  So I guess I will risk asking about testing next time I am in.

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 07:55:40 pm »
 mythified, i think you meant to say #linuxmce-devel just wanted to make sure you have the right channel

Mandingo, possy, Tschak are all people you can talk too when testing.

Richard

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 08:45:21 pm »
Yes.  I was too lazy to make sure of the name when I typed it.  I was hoping that getting close was good enough. 

Mandingo, possy, Tschak are all people you can talk too when testing.

I am sorry but I had expected an on going conversation about the testing in that channel.  Given the nature of comments about not giving help if someone needed it I did not want to intrude unless there was something actually being discussed.  Next time I am on I will make sure my test computer is set up and ready to discuss.

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 03:07:34 am »
Myth dont fret it is being worked on, as of right now we are working out the installation issues..
For a Current List of Plug and Play Capture Cards/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 04:42:38 am »
Sorry don't mean to fret.  just want to help if i can.

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 03:41:02 pm »
Here is what I have done so far:

* Installed Kubuntu 10.04.01
* updated Kubuntu with all updated packages
* installed LinuxMCE via provided scripts.

Installation failed during first time because some packaged didn't download. 2nd try passed without any issues.

Postinstall passed without issues.

Now I rebooted and I get to KDE desktop but few seconds later machine goes into restart like I clicked restart button in KDE.

So it is a endless loop of booting and restarting.

Do you maybe need some other feedback and could I provide some info that would be helpful for fixing this issue if others also experience it?

Cheers,
Valent.
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 03:56:43 pm »
I have a trac ticket on that and I know why but am not sure how to fix.  I need to get with mandingo and explain to him.
Thx for confirming this.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 07:01:32 pm »
Stupid question......

/etc/inittab whats the runlevel set to? I know if its set to "6" the machine would reboot all the time.

Karel

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 08:08:41 pm »
it is not the runlevel.  There is a couple of variables that when anded together will cause a true and reboot.  The problem is when the preferred driver is compared to the installed driver in a function in nvidia-install.sh they don't match as they should once the preferred driver installs.  I know this is the case since I changed a variable value in the function and stopped it from rebooting.  I got AVWizard and setup wizard to run and then the orbiter finally came up running.

So a change has to be made in how the name of the preferred driver is returned so that a match is eventually gotten.  I can see the result in the nvidia-install.log file.

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 08:35:35 pm »
it is not the runlevel.  There is a couple of variables that when anded together will cause a true and reboot.  The problem is when the preferred driver is compared to the installed driver in a function in nvidia-install.sh they don't match as they should once the preferred driver installs.  I know this is the case since I changed a variable value in the function and stopped it from rebooting.  I got AVWizard and setup wizard to run and then the orbiter finally came up running.

So a change has to be made in how the name of the preferred driver is returned so that a match is eventually gotten.  I can see the result in the nvidia-install.log file.

Which variable you changed? I would like to continue testing 10.04 so please share info on how to stop rebooting it.

Thanks.
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent