Author Topic: Web admin backups in advanced config  (Read 2301 times)

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
Web admin backups in advanced config
« on: November 25, 2010, 03:31:30 pm »
Is there a trick to getting backups restore to work properly?  I can make backups.  I can see them created in web admin.  I can download them to another machine and extract the contents to see that the file is not empty, but the restore does not work.  In fact, I have never seen this work.  Is there a work around to restore the backup manually after the backup file is uploaded back to the machine?  Yes I do reboot the machine after the backup is uploaded and I have clicked restore.  The wiki says that the reboot will take longer than normal because the backup is being restored but the reboot always seems the same to me.

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Web admin backups in advanced config
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 05:42:30 pm »
Lots of views but no answers.  Is there a way to run restore from the command line?  Or should I do a backup and restore directly from mysql?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:01:57 pm »
I dont think it has ever worked, and it has not been a priority yet.
the source is all there, and we would really appreciate it if someone could look into it.

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 11:32:51 pm »
I cannot fix the script but there are other ways of making a mysql backup.  One is by using mysqldump and then restoring that after the fact.  I just did that successfully from one machine to another.  OF course that does not copy the config files.  The other way would be by making a database backup with mysqlhotcopy.  I am curious if mysqlhotcopy was used to create the backup of the database through the administrative web site.  If that is how it is done then it could be a matter of unpacking resulting compressed tar file and copying the unpacked files in their proper places.  Can someone confirm this for me?

Well after further reading I see that mysqlhotcopy would not work since it works with isam and myisam tables only. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:53:26 am by mythtified »