Author Topic: Remote Control Advice  (Read 3389 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Remote Control Advice
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:51:23 pm »
I have got hold of a couple of remote controls that I want to use with Pluto on my MDs and after a bit of advice.

I chose the remotes because they have a good layout and have buttons to do just about everything I can think of.
They are universal remotes that can control up to 3 devices, the sort that you press 'set' then type in three digit codes.

That then is the question. I am assuming that I will need to either set the codes to a popular brand and use the device template for that brand in Pluto - or create my own config and setup an appropriate mapping.

I am leaning towards the latter as I want to be able to make use of nearly all the buttons and am assuming that if I set it to emulate a particular brand then it may not utilise all the buttons.

So if I am going to create a new config what should I set the remote to? Will it operate without being set to emulate anything (ie; send commands for each button press which I can get LIRC to learn) and if I learn that, what happens if it gets set to emulate something at some stage - how do I set it back to nothing.

With so many universal remotes out there now I sort of hoped someone might have found a solution.
Anyone?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Remote Control Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 04:44:07 pm »
the idea is to use a receiver connected to pluto which communicates with the remote. the codes can be learned later if the remote isn't a popular one. we already have a large db with remotes, so maybe you can find your own too