Author Topic: Android Touch Orbiter  (Read 90747 times)

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Android Touch Orbiter
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2011, 02:30:17 am »
I take it you are changing the "LMCE Server" setting to something clever in order to achieve this? Is that all you have to do for this approach to work, or do you have to SSH into the core separately from a terminal or something before you fire up the touch orbiter?

Cheers,
Matt.
Yes, need to connect and authorise to core via SSH first - via terminal or something. Add a tunnel to a local port and then change the settings in the touch orbiter to your local IP address and whatever port you have setup. I think I used connectbot when I did the test but I believe there is dedicated SSH tunning apps that might simplify the process if you were doing it often - and I think they can run by default as a proxy if you have a rooted device.

I was using the same technique to access lmce admin  and mythweb from my phone or laptop on the bus on the way home.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2011, 10:32:02 am »
That's very interesting, thank you. I have always accessed my core using SSL/HTTPS - what is your opinion on this vs your SSH tunnelling method? I have never been able to use your touch orbiter externally via SSL before; I assume it's not as simple as just putting in "https://<ExternalIP>" for the "LMCE Server" option.

FYI I found this page quite useful if anybody else is interested in the basics. There are some examples too http://www.debianadmin.com/howto-use-ssh-local-and-remote-port-forwarding.html
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2011, 05:41:48 pm »
Just wanted to show off darrenmason's touch orbiter on my new(ish) Advent Vega running Honeycomb 3.2. Feels nice and responsive having never had a tablet that cost more than 100 quid (although I managed to pick this one up for only £130), and will test some more once my system is back on its feet.

Cheers,
Matt.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:43:19 pm by purps »

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:43 am »
Just wanted to show off darrenmason's touch orbiter on my new(ish) Advent Vega running Honeycomb 3.2. Feels nice and responsive having never had a tablet that cost more than 100 quid (although I managed to pick this one up for only £130), and will test some more once my system is back on its feet.

Cheers,
Matt.

I think this is a generic unbranded one
The Yarvik looks exactly the same and almost same price.

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2011, 09:43:14 am »
Very nice indeed!
It also runs  on the  HP Touchpad (Running CyanogenMod).

Slampt

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2011, 03:18:53 pm »
I think this is a generic unbranded one
The Yarvik looks exactly the same and almost same price.

I don't think so. My tablet has a capacitive screen and nVidia Tegra graphics.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2011, 05:21:25 am »
Fellas, I'm using the android orbiter on a HTC  EVO 3D which has a resolution of 540x960 on a 4.3" screen.  Unfortunately, I have tried various orbiter sizes and none has filled the whole screen.  I can make it get smaller with sizes such as the windows mobile selection.  But getting it to fit the entire screen, rather than sit in the middle of the screen has been impossible.  I used this orbiter on my HTC Hero when i had it, and it filled the screen fine, i assume because it was a smaller screen. Any size orbiter i select above 320x480 comes out the same size.  any hints?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2011, 07:41:01 am »

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2011, 08:10:37 am »
Ok thanks

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2011, 08:34:55 pm »
Hey when I run this on my 10.04 system I get the screen but there are no options on the bottom. IE can't pick user, can't pick room. So I can't pick any media etc.

Anybody experience this? Did I miss something when setting this up?

Thanks,
Kevin

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2011, 02:42:34 pm »
Hello chaps, I have a resolution question - I've seen the various resolution discussions on this thread, but I'm not sure they address the issue I'm having.

My tablet is 1024x600, but selecting this resolution in web admin makes it look pretty gash. The best resolution I've found so far is Nokia770 (800x480), but it still looks somewhat blocky. Why might the 1024x600 not be working properly?

Is there a better way to choose the resolution? Or do I need to create a custom one?

Cheers,
Matt.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2011, 06:39:03 am »
Take a look at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Custom_Display_Resolutions#Orbiter_size

Ok, I added a new resolution and a new orbiter size successfully, but the same issue still exists.  No matter what orbiter size I choose it does not fill the screen of my evo 3d.  I can see changes in the orbiter, but it does not increase the size of the orbiter beyond a certain size.  So it just sits in the middle of the screen.  any suggestions?

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »
You may have to change some settings on your tablet. The top menubar takes up some of your display size, so your tablet may be shrinking orbiter to fit. IE if your screen size is 800x600 and the menu bar is 800x20 your true resolution is 800x580. There are settings to hide the menu bar.  Not sure if this is your issue, just a suggestion.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2011, 06:12:56 pm »
You may have to change some settings on your tablet. The top menubar takes up some of your display size, so your tablet may be shrinking orbiter to fit. IE if your screen size is 800x600 and the menu bar is 800x20 your true resolution is 800x580. There are settings to hide the menu bar.  Not sure if this is your issue, just a suggestion.

Kyfalcon, thanks for trying to help, but it actually has to do with the entries in the manifest when the app was developed. I found an app named "spare parts" in the android market. For those who may encounter the same issue, just download the app, find and deselect an option named "compatibility mode". Reboot.  The spare parts app as well as the android orbiter should fill the screen after reboot.  What I am actually using for and orbiter is my phone, a HTC EVO 3D. it has a larger screen than the usual cell phone.  thanks.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2011, 08:50:14 am »
Is this anything to do with why I am not getting a sharp image on my 1024x600 tablet?