Author Topic: Volume Control in other rooms  (Read 5140 times)

LmceCape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Volume Control in other rooms
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:15:51 pm »
Hi All

I have a question on the volume control when viewing a shared PVR Decoder in another room.

I have a Core-Hybrid in my TV Room, It is connected to a LG LCD via HDMI and to a PVR Sat Decoder via Composite through a PVR150 CARD. The Decoder  is also connected to the LG via HDMI.

In the Bedroom I have a MD also connected to a LG LCD via HDMI.

When viewing the PVR decoder from the bedroom the volume in the bedroom is not adjustable.
If I tail the DCEROUTER log it is trying to increase the volume in the TV room on the PVR Sat Decoder and not in the bedroom on the LG. (A bit pointless)
The only way to control the volume in the bedroom is to go to the floor plan select the bedroom and adjust the volume there.

Also if a use an wireless orbiter and not a MCE remote in the bedroom, the buttons on screen are not in the right place and there are NO volume buttons at all.

Do I need to set something elsewhere to tell it to adjust volume in the room playing the media?

Its a bit strange that when viewing any other media it works fine but not when viewing a shared PVR/Sat decoder.

LCECape

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Volume Control in other rooms
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:43:30 pm »
It looks somebody needs to extend the pipe handling logic of the Generic Media handler in the Media Plugin to handle this correctly.

any takers? ;)

-Thom

LmceCape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:31:42 am »
If somebody could point me in the direction I will have a crack at it.

LMCECape

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 07:45:06 am »
The relevant code is in src/Media_Plugin

specifically, Generic*.cpp and Media_Plugin.cpp

-Thom

LmceCape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 04:33:39 pm »
having a look, so far I think I'm a bit out of my league here.

LmceCape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 06:07:14 pm »
Hi Thom

Had a look but I have no idea what I'm doing in there.

I wish I could, because I have been playing with LMCE for about 3 years now, I know were most of the bugs are, but I cannot fix them.

LMCECape

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 07:26:30 pm »
Just a thought...  Is the PVR Sat Decoder controlled via IR?  If so, you might be able to cheat by adding a duplicate device.  Use one device for the TV Room (using the pipes), and use the second device as an input to the PVR150 card (and don't setup any pipes).
Eric Severance
My setup

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 06:37:25 am »
That is what I have done.  I have one cable box as HDMI connected and one as PVR150 but then even though it is the same cable box.  You have to 'ignore ON/Off' on both to stop LMCE from turning the box off when somebody else is also watching.  the other issue is that when you access the PVR150 stream it changes the channel to a start channel so it knows where you are and will change from what was already being watched on the other device.

this is a workaround and not very friendly but will work for me until I either get a HD PVR

LmceCape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 05:25:07 pm »
Thanks for the response guys, but these are ugly hacks, don't quite understand it though, when playing a video from the core on a MD its all fine, so then it should be the same when playing a shared PVR/sat device.
If we are watching the same thing in different rooms, surly the volume control should be independent in every room, only channel change should be sent to the PVR device.

LmceCape

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 04:17:51 pm »
LmceCape and Techstyle,

Can you confirm where the volume control messages are going when viewing your devices from a remote Media Director?  Sounds like LmceCape's volume control is going to the Audio Pipe he has setup for the device.  How about you Techstyle?  When you view the cable box from a different media director than the one it is plugged into and try to control the volume, where does the volume actually get controlled (that MD, the cable box, or somewhere else)?

Just want to confirm the behavior you're seeing.  It'll make it easier to track down and try to fix.
Eric Severance
My setup

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 04:05:17 am »
This should be fixed in the next snapshot.  The trac ticket for this is #746
Eric Severance
My setup

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 07:25:01 pm »
in my case I have set up two cable boxes even though there is only one.

the first is set up with pipes directly to the tv for video and reciever for audio in the living room - Known as Explorer HDMI
the second is set up to be connected to the PVR150 for Audio and video - Known as Explorer PVR150

Explorer HDMI is only available in the living room
Explorer PVR150 is available where ever there is a MD

when controlling the volume of the Explorer PVR150 from an MD (where ever that is) the volume is adjusted on the local device - the TV in my bedroom for example