Author Topic: Series 70 (Nokia 7710) support  (Read 17979 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Series 70 (Nokia 7710) support
« on: July 28, 2005, 01:52:24 pm »
Hi,

I've just downloaded the Pluto kickstart disc and I'm looking forward to giving it a try, it sounds like a great system. Anyway, I was just wondering if there was any sort of timescale in regards to development of support for Series 70 Symbian phones? I've just got hold of a new Nokia 7710 Series 70 phone which has a large widescreen touchscreen plus a number of physical buttons and therefore seems perfect for use as an Orbiter.

I've got an old Nokia 7610 which will work for the moment but obviously it would be nice to get the system running on my new phone as well!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 09:40:01 pm »
Hello Neila,

What is the resolution of your Series 70 phone?  There are 2 issues: 1 getting a "skin" or UI that fits the right screen size and aspect ratio.  If it uses the same aspect ratio as one of our existing skins, we can use it--and we can have the skin stretch a bit if it's not exact.

The 2nd issue is compiling the Symbian app for series 70.  Perhaps it's as simple as recompiling the series 60 code in the series 70 compiler.  But there might be differences.  We don't have a series 70 phone to work on.  Are you a programmer?  Have you ever compiled a Symbian app?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 10:24:07 am »
The screen res is 640x320, so pretty different to most phones.

I am a programmer but generally PC based (C\C++), my mobile phone experience just extends to a few simple java apps unfortunately, however once I get the rest of the Pluto system up and running I may well look into the Symbian side of things.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 04:09:23 pm »
It's an odd aspect ratio (2:1).  I assume you hold the phone horizontally?  If so, you could use the normal VGA skin, and tell it to scale the height to 66% (we just add that as a new size).  The buttons will be a bit short, however the VGA skin has typically generously high buttons anyway.  At least that way there's no need to create new graphics or a new skin.

The issue is compiling the Symbian C++ app for series 70.  Our mobile phone orbiter guy (Chris) is working on a port for MS Smartphones, so he probably won't be able to get to it for a few weeks.  But, if you know programming, you might want to try downloading the Symbian series 70 compiler, checking out the code from SVN, and seeing if it compiles.  It may only take a couple hours to get it going.  Otherwise, Chris can try it when he's done.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 04:36:22 pm »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
Our mobile phone orbiter guy (Chris) is working on a port for MS Smartphones

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I assume this mean I can use my audiovox SMT5600 phone with bluetooth capabilities as a mobile orbiter then.  That would be sweet!