Author Topic: MD broken after latest update & upgrade  (Read 12087 times)

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
MD broken after latest update & upgrade
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:24:50 pm »
Have just performed the latest update & upgrade on the core after waiting for sometime as the last time I did it I ended up breaking the core, good news I believe the core is okay after the updates and I can even run the new Weborbiter 2.0, well just about waiting on an answer to fix a small bug with the iphone orbiter in another post. The main issue is my one and only MD now refuses to play any videos or audio, it get's up to the point of selecting play and then it just returns to the screen saver with a msg of DVDCSS is not installed. I have deleted the MD and done a new diskless set up but no good still the same.............I have to assume the update or upgrade has changed something as everything with the MD was okay before the update & upgrade but unfortunately I would not have a clue of where to start looking

If anybody has suggestions that would be much appreciated as the wife is going nuts........also if someone could advise how to get the MD to do an update, I remember the MD's have a different user name and password when you SSH in which I found on the forums once before but after of hours of searching I still can't find it

Thanks & regards
Beeker

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MD broken after latest update & upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 01:28:37 pm »
hi,

i think you have to install the libdvdcss on the md. This should solve your problem with DVDCSS ist not installed.

You can go to your MD with ssh moonXX (where XX is your device number of your md). I think you have to do a sudo su before.

regards
avajon

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 01:58:35 pm »
Thanks avajon for the quick response and you have jogged the old gray matter...........I did logging using moon167 but it wanted a password which if I remember rightly that it does not need one but I tried that and it didn't work.

I also checked the software packages via web admin and libdvdcss is not showing up in either the core or md which as you say may be the reason, funny how it's now not there with the latest update/upgrades..........though I can't confirm if they were there prior to that, but they must of been as I could play everything prior to that. I am curious why mp3's don't play either as I would of thought that file would not of have any impact on them.

Cheers
Beeker

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 02:06:17 pm »
Thanks avajon for the quick response and you have jogged the old gray matter...........I did logging using moon167 but it wanted a password which if I remember rightly that it does not need one but I tried that and it didn't work.
You need to become root on the core, and ssh from that user. That way you don't need a password. Alternatively, chroot /usr/pluto/diskless/<id-of-md> and do the apt-get install libdvdcss
I also checked the software packages via web admin and libdvdcss is not showing up

Currently we do not have any packages in that list.

daballiemo

• Guru
  • Full Blown Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 02:10:15 pm »
Login to the core

>ssh moonxxx

and do ur stuff or you can also run "passwd" and set the password what you want so you can login via its ip address.

if you get fed up and want to rebuild the md (from scratch) which I think is costing less time then to figure out what is wrong with the old one, do not forget to run "/usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh
" on the core.....

rgds

Han
HP N40L12.04 KVM with virt LCME8.10/10.04
MD: FoxConn NetBox 330I - Samsung LE 26 (1360* 768)
MD: M2NPV-VM dual core AMD 64/3800/2Gb/NV6150 - Samsung UE 55 C8700 (full hd, 3d)
MD: FoxConn NetBox 330I - LG 32ld350

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 02:17:44 pm »
Thanks everyone for all your help have just ssh into the md from the core and doing the recommended suggestions and got my fingers crossed will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the excellent support

Cheers
Beeker

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 03:31:08 pm »
Hi All,
Updated the MD and rebooted it, installed libdvdcss2 on both the core and the md........checked in webadmin and both show it installed. Still no go with playing back on the MD, should I delete it and recreate the diskless image on the core and then restart the md so it reinstalls?

Regards
Beeker

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:02:55 pm »
Does the DVD play in either location? MD or core?

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:06:53 pm »
Plays on the core so I get the feeling a create a new diskless image on the core and then restart the md so it rebuilds....what do you think

stallione

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:38:53 pm »
I have the same problem on my MD's after an update, it is due to the smb permissions on the Core. Do the following on the Core (downgrade samba install) and test.

Code: [Select]
apt-get install samba=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3 samba-common=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3  libsmbclient=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3 libwbclient0=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3  smbclient=2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3 smbfs=2:3.2
Code: [Select]

Stallione

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 05:03:01 pm »
Thanks for the tip I tried that and unfortunately I keep getting an error when trying to execute the string see attached txt document

Cheers
Beeker

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 01:02:11 am »
Going down hill fast.........tried the following....now not sure what steps to take next

1. SAMBA mods get an error
2. Recreated the Diskless image and deleted the MD and restarted and it finally rebuilt and I got through the AV wizard only to be presented with just a cursor and the black screen of death.....(must be Bill Gates trying to stalk me now in Linux)
3. Restarted the MD as I was about to throw it off the balcony and it looked like it was booting up normally only to see msg's of installing all different files which is fine except for the fact after about 5 mins it started coming up with a continuous msg on the screen saying "Orbiter failed to initalise openGL at the top of the screen and in the middle of the screen it has another msg that says "Starting Media Devices"
4. If I click ok then the Orbiter msg disappears only to return about 10secs later

By the way the core is working ok playing content etc...........what the real hassle is all was working perfectly before doing any updates or upgrades, I might have to resort to reloading my original image and starting a fresh as I know my image that I built 3 or 4 months ago works. Could it be that there may be an issue with one of updates and a possible compatibility issue with my hardware as there must be 1000's of users that have successfully done an update and upgrade and not experienced the same frustrations otherwise there could of been lots of equipment going off balconys

As always I appreciate all the help and it great to have such a high level of support from everyone

Regards,
Beeker

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 01:23:59 am »
Further to that post it also broke my VOIP that I had set up previously, have checked all the setting everything looks okay now when I try to place a call it just sits there with calling on the screen...........does anybody know if there is an issue with Asterik

101 ways to Getting Frustrated

Thanks and regards as always
Beeker

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 12:12:27 am »
Hi All,
Getting desperate anybody have any suggestions or am I better to a complete reinstall using b2 or the latest snapshot

DEMNVT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 04:27:20 am »
After having similar issues myself and chatting to TSCHak and possy on IRC, finally found the answers I needed (well possy found them for me.... genius!).

Take a look at the second reply in this thread from pw44:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9984.0

Note: when you do get it working, the MD may seem to lock up during boot up. This is because it is trying to change permissions on all of your media. You just need to let it run (mine took over an hour). See this thread for more information:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10363.0

I think possy was working on a fix for this issue last night, so if you do another update in a few days it should stop it from happening.

Hope this helps! :)