Author Topic: Launchmanager, start kubuntu without LinuxMCE  (Read 3850 times)

mwild

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Launchmanager, start kubuntu without LinuxMCE
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:33:48 pm »
Hello,
I'm a very new member in the LMCE community and have no experience with Linux (Kubunto) at all. However the installation on my old PC of Kubuntu 8.10 went smoothly and also the installation of Linux MCE. So far everything seems to work. Today I wanted to play a DVD, which doesn't seem to be trivial! I found out that I had to install additional SW to play encrypted DVD's and tried to install the required SW from the Linux Admin Website (Avanced/Add Software). Obviously this page is currently not available and I couldn't install the SW.I was checking, whether there are other possibilities to install this SW and found out that it can be done directly through the terminal wiindow of KDE. In the description of the SW-installation it is mentioned that Linux MCE has to be closed completely and only Kubuntu should run. Here comes my problem: My system starts LinuxMCE automatically and I have no idea how to change this (Of course I can open the KDE-Desktop within LinuxMCE, but this is not what I want to do). Is there a possibility to bypass the automatic start of LinuxMCE? In principle I would really appreciate it, if the system starts only Kubuntu and NOT LinuxMCE on top. Is there a possibility to configure this? In the User Manual I found something about the LinuxMCE Launchmanager, but I didn't find any information how to start it and how to reconfigure the system, so LinuxMCE won't start automatically (only Kubuntu should start and I would like to start LinuxMCE from the KDE-Desktop). As soon as this problem is fixed, I will probably have more questions (especially how to get access to a Windows xP PC within the same Network from my LinuxMCE Core/hybrid Server).
Thanks in advance.

Markus

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Launchmanager, start kubuntu without LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:40:45 pm »
You can easily keep LinuxMCE running, and install the needed packages. To go into the KDE Desktop to install the needed package, select KDE Desktop from the menu behind the penguin watching TV (if you are running UI1), or KDE Desktop on the most right had menu if you are using UI2.

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:39:34 am »
or press ctrl-alt-f2...... et voila a konsole, login with your name and password you used for kubuntu install (this could be different then the linuxmce install). and type:

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

It will ask for your root password, again given at kubuntu install. After this the package will install and you can play encrypted dvd's.

You can do this for any other package you need and forget about kde at all.

Richard

mwild

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 01:25:37 pm »
Many thanks for the support. I was able to install the package to play DVD's. However, I wanted to install all restriced drivers at once, as described in the following description (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Restricted_Software_Installation_Guide). This was not successfull and I followed the instructions to install only the restriced package for DVD encypting. This worked. Thanks again for the support.
Now I have the problem, that I cannot control the DVD menu. After clicking the left mouse button, I get a button on the screen to pause the DVD. When I click this button, I get another menu for (fast) rewind and (fast) forward. However clicking with the mouse on fast forward or fast rewind doesn't have an effect. I only can play or pause the DVD. Even worth: There is no possibility to stop the DVD and to return to the main menu. The only possibility to stop it, is to completely shut down the PC (by pressing the Power Off button of the PC). This can't be normal. Any idea how to get control on the DVD menu? Unfortunately my Remote control is not fully functional and only follwing buttons are working: left, right, up, down, OK. I hope that it is possible to control the DVD with mouse and keyboard only!
Thanks in advance.

Markus

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 03:38:55 pm »
Your mouse or an MCE remote should control the DVD menu.  Controls are available during playback by pressing F6, F7 or F8 on your keyboard.

J.