Author Topic: 810 Capture aspect ratio problem  (Read 5249 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
810 Capture aspect ratio problem
« on: March 17, 2010, 01:09:17 am »
I have just got my satellite AV device working through my PVR150 capture card in LinuxMCE 810.

It looks like xine is being used to play the s-video capture. I cannot change the resolution and it is stuck on 4:3 even though the source is 16:9. I can't change it using the zoom/aspect menu item either.

Anyone know how to change the resolution or have I missed something?

** edit: title for clarity **
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:18:01 pm by b4rney »

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 810 Capture resolution problem
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:22:06 pm »
Bump. Still got this issue. I don't know if it's a bug which needs reporting.

Changing the aspect ratio has no effect when viewing a pvr-150 av device capture, however the zoom works. My 16:9 screen has black bars left and right when viewing a 16:9 capture and the picture is squashed accordingly.

Anyone else having this problem?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: 810 Capture aspect ratio problem
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 05:18:59 pm »
Are you doing capture/playback through Myth or are you talking about watching live tv through the capture card in LinuxMCE outside of Myth?

I am not having that issue, but I am only using the tuner for my pvr-150 (and HDHomeRun), no s-video capture and watching everything through Myth.  What I have noticed that may help is since upgrading to 810 the new version of Myth automatically controls zoom on the fly.  For me it works great even if it sometimes zooms a 4:3 picture cutting off the top/bottom to fill my 16:9 screen.  

I believe I read that Thom is working on using MythTV's playback for TV recordings in the LinuxMCE video section.  If so, you might want to check Myth settings or even search the Myth forums.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:11:33 pm »
Hi skeptic.
Neither. I am watching the s-video capture from a satellite receiver through the capture card in LinuxMCE but it appears to be using xine player. First, I set up a new AV device in web admin. The went back through the setup wizard and added the new device (a sky satellite receiver) to the pvr150 capture.

My AV device appears under the media menu as a new item.

When I saw the aspect ratio was wrong I ran top in an ssh session and it looked like xine was playing the pvr150 stream. That must be the default configuration.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:04 pm »
Hi skeptic.
Neither. I am watching the s-video capture from a satellite receiver through the capture card in LinuxMCE but it appears to be using xine player. First, I set up a new AV device in web admin. The went back through the setup wizard and added the new device (a sky satellite receiver) to the pvr150 capture.

My AV device appears under the media menu as a new item.
Ya, that's what I meant by "watching live tv through the capture card in LinuxMCE outside of Myth."  I used to run that setup (DirecTV sat), but switched to regular cable and ditched all the set top boxes. 

Can you connect the s-video direct to a TV and see what is going on?  My guess is the problems you are seeing are due to what the sat box is outputting, not lmce/xine.  When I was using cable boxes they sometimes screwed up aspect ratio direct to the TV using HDMI/Component, and were even worse with s-video. 

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 10:19:39 pm »
Thanks skeptic. Will try that now.

Crawtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 02:55:10 am »
Hi
I have the same problem
And its been a bug for a long time

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 12:32:01 am »
As this seems to be a bug ... how do I report it?

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:26:23 am »
Still got this problem. Got more info if it helps.

Looks like the pvr150 reports an aspect ratio of 5:4 despite being sent a 16:9 source:
Code: [Select]
Read media A/V information: []/[MPEG (libmpeg2), 720x576] => []/[5:4]

On screen aspect ratio change has no effect (bug?).

Weirdness:
When source is 4:3 images display correctly
When source is 16:9 has black bars on both sides (left and right) and is squashed accordingly

Can anyone confirm whether or not the pvr-150 can correctly capture a 16:9 signal?
Can anyone recommend a capture card that is more up to date?

Barney

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 05:15:36 pm »
Opened a trac ticket.

http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/725

As far as I know it should be possible to adjust the aspect ratio manually. Zoom works but aspect ratio doesn't.
Barney