Author Topic: Horizontal Blinds Motor and X-10 - Cheapest method?  (Read 4737 times)

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Horizontal Blinds Motor and X-10 - Cheapest method?
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:22:01 pm »
Hey guys,

So I'd like to automate my living room which is where I have the main tv, etc. The problem with this room, is that I have a LOT of windows, and a 36 - 40 foot ceiling that has the windows running all the way up.

In total in this room... 14 separate Windows. Currently I have Horizontal (Non-Motorized) wood blinds on 6 of these windows.

I'd like them all to be motorized, and I'd like them all to have the ability to be controlled by LMCE.

What's the cheapest way I can go about doing this? I've been having difficulty finding solutions....

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Horizontal Blinds Motor and X-10 - Cheapest method?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:44:32 pm »
Hi there, there are plenty of different types of drapery and blind controllers and motors available e.g. via eBay. I have a low cost one that can be controlled via IR remote. Therefore, USB-UIRT that is. Haven't integrated that yet with LMCE, but should be a basic thing to do.

Depending on the controller, if it's a simple one it could require some additional "intelligence" to get two-way communication (if needed). Iow, if you want to know the exact status of the blinds you might need to do some additional tweaking.

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 05:52:42 pm »
I'd be curious to know what others have used to add the motor. I think I have the controller picked out already, the Z-wave interface. But the motor on the other hand... I'm just not too sure about. I don't want a "Battery" controlled motor, because I don't want to have to change the battery every so often. I'd rather run the appropriate power as necessary to run them.

Hell, if they made wood blinds that already CAME with a motor and interface, I might be inclined to just nix the blinds I have already and buy new blinds. I just can't seem to find any "solid" leads on manufacturers of either all-inclusive blinds, or "motors." The little detail I can find, contains very vauge information. 

si70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:51:19 pm »
hi
in the uk somfy is the brand to check out. do a search under "somfy ls40".
out of the uk sorry no idea.

simon
Ta

Simon

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 06:25:24 am »
Are you in the US?

pm me if your interested .... I have some suppliers with a fair range of powered blinds

let me know.... maybe I can add some to lmcecompatible

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/