Author Topic: My electric company is offering a web connected thermostat for $50  (Read 3583 times)

davidsmoot

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
What do you guys think about this:
https://www.txupartners.com/thermostat/index.php

No details on the underlying tech but they route the data to their servers and let you view it via a web interface.  The catch is you agree to let them cycle your AC off during peak periods for 10-15 minutes but you can manually override their ability to do this

Seems a cheap way to get your thermostat connected.  Gonna give it a try I think.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: My electric company is offering a web connected thermostat for $50
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:19:16 pm »
Price is right.
I just don't get it why should one be able to adjust the home temp from outside.
Oh yes, it's geegy, but still?
/Kooma

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:18:24 pm »
The point is not really to allow you to adjust the temperature remotely, although it is a fringe benefit/feature, the point is that it allows your electricity provider to control the temperature in your house remotely.

We have something similar in some locations in Ontario served by Hydro One.  Hyrdo One will give you a *free* web enabled thermostat and a $25 credit on your electricity bill.  Once installed Hydro One automatically adjusts your air conditioning setpoint up 2 degrees C (~4 degrees F) during peak electricity usage periods (rather than turning it off).  These periods can last up to 4 hours here.  Personally I'm against the idea of anyone other than myself having control over the internal environment of my house.  HydroOne also requests access to control your electric Hot Water heater as well.  Here's the link to HydroOne's PeakSaver smartstat for those interested: http://hydroone.apogee.net/smartstat/

J.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:21:59 am »
Then the question is really:

can it be controlled and the temp/mode looked after by LMCE?

Then if you can re adjust it manually, LMCE can just set it back to the set temp whenever the electric company change the temp.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 11:10:20 am »
So for a couple of lousy bucks, you let your energy company control your thermostat.
ok...............can I also get your email password, I will through in this nice usb stick.