Author Topic: 0.41 install issues  (Read 6081 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
0.41 install issues
« on: October 26, 2006, 08:41:36 pm »
Hello.

I did a fresh install with 0.41.

A note about the audio/visual (girl talking) setup that was also the same on 0.40.  When I select 800x600 resolution, she appears then vanishes but I still hear the voice.
That whole setup needs fixing as people expect to use the mouse not arrow keys.

Back to 0.41

On the initial setup, I told it to leave my media as its on a separate H/D and obviously, i don't want to lose my media.

After I finish, I get a series of pictures and it takes forever (over an hour and still going). When I use ctrl alt f2 and login as root and use top, I see OrbiterGL using 77-99% of the cpu.

0.40 didn't take long after the setup.  Why is 0.41 taking so long ??

At the moment, I'm not sure this will ever finish.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
0.41 install issues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 09:55:35 pm »
And an hour later, it's still doing the same

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
0.41 install issues
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:56:42 pm »
OK - I tried the .40 install.  After the extras it started downloading from the internet a lot of files.  I noticed a lot were .41 files - very ominous.  It looks like plutohome haven't kept the .040 and .041 lines separate...ouch.

It freezes (locks up the machine) showing a screen that I haven't seen before.  Something about dyndns and other dns stuff that I don't use, but it's locked so there we go....41 and the previous working .40 are both pooched on my machine.
Installs OpenBSD instead.

Let me know if you either:-

1)   Fix .41
2)   Separate the .40 and .41 lines

I can't remember exactly when I did the .40 install.  18/19/20th October 2006 and it worked fine then.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
0.41 install issues
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 10:32:15 pm »
Update - I have good news for you and bad news for me.

Hardware

Motherboard - Asus K8V-X (via K8T800) - Avoid this and via chipsets ref MythTV and other PVR websites.

Haupaggue pvr-350

I got another H/D and I installed xp on the computer.  I found it was  'flaky'  even with the windows software.  Not good.  I tried it in my other computer, also a Asus K8V-X.  Same problem.  I could only find a pvr-150 locally, so bought it.  Same problem in both computers.  After checking mythtv and other pvr mailing list archives and forums I found out there are issues with various VIA chipset motherboards - Great !  ?#$@$?#

Tested it in an asus p4s333 (sis 645 chipset) - both worked fine in XP - Tried plutohome - works fine as well.

O.K. - some notes.

The plutohome server is designed to connect to the internet and be on all the time, hence the Two interfaces and the firewall.
But for many people who are testing, this is a problem.  You can't (easily) have Two DHCP servers going at the same time so if you have a real firewall or firewall/router the box, then you have an initial problem you MUST solve.
Assuming you are going to be turning plutohome on and off whilst testing, turn off any dhcp server in the firewall/firewall/router and set your other computers to static IP addresses with the appropriate netmask, GW and DNS servers.

You will know when you try and boot a pc as a media server as it will likely pick up the from both dhcp servers and you will get an IP in a different subnet (assuming your other subnet IS NOT also 192.168.80.x).  Most are 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x

NOTE:  you will need a switch for the 192.168.80.x subnet as well.  Devices you want to control/use need to be connected to this switch

During the install, pick 640x480 resolution (I used 60HZ) - I had problems with the video etc. (you can change this later after you login to the web setup)

Also DO NOT accept the default   'UI '  that is for newer gforce 65xx graphics cards, otherwise you will end up with a grey screen.

I tested one of those useless K8V-X's as a media device and it worked fine.

My Gateway MX7515 notebook (Marvell chipset sky2 driver) doesn't get past init 2 unfortuantely  :-(

I'm going to compalin to asus about these motherboards and find the receipts, as I have found out that they have 3-year warranties.

The GC100 has arrived and is installed.  It's a slow process (I don't have much spare time) but hope to get the A/V working, then x-10, and the asterisk, and later, the CCTV system.  I'll be using the spare H/D for any new releases as I don't want to hose a working test system.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
0.41 install issues
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 12:45:45 pm »
In order for the pluto team to check out the installation you have we need you to enable remote acces on the system and to give us the number of the installation and the password. Please send a pm with your ym or skype.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
0.41 install issues
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 04:44:35 pm »
Quote from: "marrandy"
Update - I have good news for you and bad news for me.

Hardware

Motherboard - Asus K8V-X (via K8T800) - Avoid this and via chipsets ref MythTV and other PVR websites.

Haupaggue pvr-350

I got another H/D and I installed xp on the computer.  I found it was  'flaky'  even with the windows software.  Not good.  I tried it in my other computer, also a Asus K8V-X.  Same problem.  I could only find a pvr-150 locally, so bought it.  Same problem in both computers.  After checking mythtv and other pvr mailing list archives and forums I found out there are issues with various VIA chipset motherboards - Great !  ?#$@$?#

Don't know it there is much we can do here, we don't have that kind of hardware in the office and also i don't know if we would have any time right now to come up with a fix for this. As soon as a 3rd pary teams (myth, kernel .. ) came up with a fix we would be happy to add it to pluto.

The plutohome server is designed to connect to the internet and be on all the time, hence the Two interfaces and the firewall.
But for many people who are testing, this is a problem.  You can't (easily) have Two DHCP servers going at the same time so if you have a real firewall or firewall/router the box, then you have an initial problem you MUST solve.
Assuming you are going to be turning plutohome on and off whilst testing, turn off any dhcp server in the firewall/firewall/router and set your other computers to static IP addresses with the appropriate netmask, GW and DNS servers.

You will know when you try and boot a pc as a media server as it will likely pick up the from both dhcp servers and you will get an IP in a different subnet (assuming your other subnet IS NOT also 192.168.80.x).  Most are 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x

Pluto core is meant to be a separator between the pluto network and the other networks. This design was also use from some security reasons and i  would recommend you a separate network or vlan to use pluto in. There is unlikely to change this in the near future.

NOTE:  you will need a switch for the 192.168.80.x subnet as well.  Devices you want to control/use need to be connected to this switch

You can change this starting with .41 build but only at installation time only , for now.

During the install, pick 640x480 resolution (I used 60HZ) - I had problems with the video etc. (you can change this later after you login to the web setup)

I think 640x480 is the default install resolution, and can be changed at install time using the Audio Video Wizard also.

Also DO NOT accept the default   'UI '  that is for newer gforce 65xx graphics cards, otherwise you will end up with a grey screen.

The new UI is still in development now and far from being final/stable. In the next releases we hope to support other/older hardware too.

My Gateway MX7515 notebook (Marvell chipset sky2 driver) doesn't get past init 2 unfortuantely  :-(

I would really like to take a look at this, if you could send us the remote assistance information that ionut.f was asking you of.

I'm going to compalin to asus about these motherboards and find the receipts, as I have found out that they have 3-year warranties.

Please do so, as hardware manufacturers don't give a damn about Linux, maybe more complains would make them change their mind.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
0.41 install issues
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 05:16:36 pm »
I did send the remote assistance (my skype name) but I haven't heard back.  I have also asked, and am waiting to have you skype information so I can allow calls from pluto personnel.  I have also asked what access you need as I have to open ports on my main firewall and and need your IP's as I don't allow ssh from every computer user in the world.  ssh would be best

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
install problem
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 09:57:19 pm »
The 40 version worked fine with my computer. Now the 41 version stalls and something like a screen copied 3 times stays at the bottom.
Computer with ati type graphic card.