Author Topic: video problems  (Read 2090 times)

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
video problems
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:22:08 pm »
I just installed LMCE 8.10 on a Dell Optiplex 740.  I figured this would be a suitable Core and should handle all my needs now and in the future.  Based on the minimum requirements for a core, I figure an Athlon 64 X2 2.6GHz with 4 gigs of 800MHz ram (currently only 1 gig) and a boat load of usb ports should last me a few years and accommodate family expansion.  Back on topic, I noticed during the install the lady in the corner guiding me through the installation was only visible about 1/4 of the way through but i could hear her just fine.  There where also displays where i had to make a selection That wouldn't display properly, all i saw was a black box.  For example, My location isn't set and I couldn't setup my TV Tuners because i couldn't see what was on the screen so i had to skip it.  I figure this is due to the video drivers but this computer has NVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S Integrated Graphics and I'm under the impression that all NVidia graphics cards are compatible.  Can someone guide me through installing updated drivers or configuring the current ones.  Just to be clear, the display still works, I can see the on screen orbiter in the back ground there is just a black box where I'm suppose to make my selection.  If i can make all configurations in web admin and i don't need fully functioning video on my core i might be okay with that.  I'm hoping to tuck the core away in the corner with all my other servers and never physically touch it anyway.  Could it be possible that 1 gig isn't enough.  I have 2 gigs i can throw in, I was saving them for a different project but this is more important at the moment.  For a 2.6GHz dual core i noticed the orbiter is a little sluggish, I'm thinking a lack of ram is either my problem or part of it. 

That brings me to my other issue.  The installation setup a hybrid all by it self... or at least it looks like a hybrid.  I don't know if there was an option for core only that i missed because of my video problems but how do I remove MD functions from the Core?  I want it to strictly be a Core.

P.S - during the install i selected UI1.

Thanks in advance.