Author Topic: MD myth setup and dvi monitor (half solved)  (Read 3816 times)

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
MD myth setup and dvi monitor (half solved)
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:54:45 am »
I have been playing with LinuxMCE of a bit and decided to try out a MD in the master bedroom. The first time I tried I forgot to run the diskless setup script. That ended up in some squirrely results. So I started over with a fresh hybrid install with the 4-8-10 install dvd image and got everything working. Ran the diskless script, then booted the MD. After going through the AVwizard and setup wizard, everything looks pretty good with the exception of myth and my video pipes.

Myth setup seems to have what I would think were the correct settings in it already, the master backend IP is 192.168.80.1 etc. When I try to run myth the screen flashes into the myth frontend display for a second and then goes black and sticks. I think the problem may be that there is a backend installed on the MD. The IP of the MD is listed in the setup section accessed from the computing screen as the local backend. Is it possible that it is trying to connect to the local backend and not the master backend? I don't have any capture cards installed in the MD, and have one pvr250 installed on the master. Are there settings that I have to tweak anywhere in myth setup on the MD or should things be set correctly during the MD's creation? Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated. From what I have read the frontend should pretty much work as long as the versions of myth are similar and it is put on the same subnet as the master backend. Obviously I am missing something.

Now my video pipe issue. I am using a sceptre 24 inch LCD monitor over a DVI cable for the display and I just plugged in some 2.1 computer speakers for the sound. The sound seems to be fine but I seem to be having issues with the display. I want the MD to turn off the monitor after it is finished playing whatever media, or at least when I tell it to turn off the display. I have unchecked the "leave monitor on for OSD" block in the onscreen orbiter section of the admin website, however I cannot get that monitor into the pipes so that it will turn it off. I searched the forums and found a posting here: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8794.0 which mentions a dvi monitor template being added however I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone know if that template was named something other than generic monitor or dvi monitor?

I tried the DPMS monitor template and added the AV device. However when I went to the connection wizard it would not allow me to draw the video pipe. I then thought that maybe I could put a DVI port on the dpms monitor and try that. That allowed me to draw the video pipe however it would not allow me to press the update button. Next I tried the projector template, but it would not allow me to press the update button either. This was one of the issues I was having on the last install and I thought it was just a huccup.

Thanks,
Josh

Edit: I guess I should clarify, LinuxMCE does not nessisarily have to turn off the monitor, it could simply cut the signal going to it which would kick it into standby. That would be great. Would be just like when your pc turns your screen off due to inactivity. Problem is I am not sure how to implement whatever that command is into LinuxMCE and make it work like it should.

Thanks again
Josh
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:56:08 am by lmwashere »

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: MD myth setup and dvi monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 04:44:38 pm »
We still have a know bug in myth but are testing the fix now

Jump into the irc channel and we can fix your issue, what is happing is that the capturecard table is not getting populated with the sync command via the mythtv plugin.

So check your backend for card setup, if you havent already done so add your card into myth

If you still cant get it to work jump into the irc channels and we can take a look at it

Thanks

Mandingo
For a Current List of Plug and Play Capture Cards/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:59:11 am »
not sure how to handle adding a card from the hybrid on the md manually. When I tried it didn't detect any. Im not sure of the path to the hybrid, would it be an IP then the location of the card as listed on the hybrid? Im on irc if you should stop by.

josh

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 03:54:28 am »
what would happen if I changed the IP of the local backend on the MD to the IP of the master backend on the Hybrid?

Dunno if it will cause instability or not but I tried it. I can watch the channel that is currently playing but it won't let me change the channel from the guide. That may not really be the best fix but at least I know that the frontend is working on the md.

OK, I answered this before I even finished the post.

It will cause mythtv to become angry and abduct your cat. don't do that.

I had to go to KDE desktop and run mythtv-setup as root, I then found that the settings were corrected. closed that out and went back to LMCE. Tried mythtv and everything works on the MD and on the hybrid. Kick Ass!

Now there is just the monitor issue. I added a dpms monitor and used the drop down lists to do the video pipe, so that is squared away. The remaining issue is that it still will not either turn the monitor off or send it to stand by when I hit the "power of display" button.

Any ideas on that one would be of great help!

Josh