Author Topic: endless video playlist?  (Read 4340 times)

jeffjohnvol

• View Profile
endless video playlist?
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:21 pm »
Do you ever find a movie on TV that you already have the DVD of and you watch the movie commercials and all, when you could have just put in the DVD and watch without the commercials?  Well, I'm one of those fools.

I was wondering if it would be possible to configure LMCE to play one movie after another constantly (like a jukebox).  I could get an RF modulator to put it on as a channel on my cable so if nothing else is on, I can flip over to see what DVD of mine is playing.

With hardware getting less expensive, I could make several boxes (hopefully miniITX) that are queueing all the movies up, so I would have several channels of streaming movies, with each box pulling from a shared network drive of all of my DVD's I have backed up.

Thanks.
Jeff

THEVILLAIN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: endless video playlist?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:55:02 pm »
This should be in the feature request section, afaik they are planning a rewrite of the orbiter UI for build 1008.

jeffjohnvol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:57:37 pm »
Sorry, I didn't know if was a current feature or not.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:47:56 pm »
...Why would you want to do this...  This does not sound like it solves any problem.  You can already select exactly what you want to play and stream it to as many rooms as you want already... Look at the playlist features and media tagging.  You can search by just about anything - from performers, to titles, to genres - and queue up the results.

jeffjohnvol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:08:44 pm »
As I tried to explain above, I want to simply create a movie channel that I will use an RF modulator to give it a specific channel on my house cable.  I would just be using the LMCE as a player only. 

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:11:45 pm »
...That defeats the purpose of having a media library...

In any case, the playlist features are there.  I'm not sure about looping the playlist - you'd have to do some digging.  The rest is outside of the scope of LinuxMCE.

jeffjohnvol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:18:13 pm »
I think you missed my original point/purpose, but okay, I'll check elsewhere.  Thanks for your help.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:18:20 pm »
From what you have said you want to play movie back to back all the time like a TV channel

Have you tried hitting 'play all' from the video menu? not sure if it would automatically play stuff or get caught at the menu page of your first DVD though, also you may be able to look at the playlist and hit random as well

jeffjohnvol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:32:44 pm »
I'm still waiting on the parts from newegg to build my linux box.  Once I get everything built and installed I'll try that.  I know I can't do it with Vista MCE which I have (please don't stone me ;)

Many times the wife and I are watching TV live, and we like to pause the DVR and let the show "queue up" so we can skip past commercials.  By having my movie collection cycling through, I can watch 20 minutes of a movie that may be playing and then go back to my regular show.

Its not to say that I wouldn't ever want to select a specific movie, but I have 300 movies on 4TB.  I would rarely ever pull "the Outlaw Josey Wales" to watch, but if it is already on, I'd probably watch it, as I did this weekend when it was on TNT.    I realize it sounds lame to some, but that is what I was curious if I can do with LMCE.

Thanks.
Jeff

jeffjohnvol

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:44:51 pm »
I suppose another way of looking at it is that I want to create my own HBO channel of stuff I like (since I don't have stuff I don't like in my library).  If I had enough boxes I wouldn't mind having 3 or 4 of those channels, perhaps of different genres.  Like I said, I'll get it built and loaded and will play with it before I post anymore questions.   These forums are a great resource, I appreciate it.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 04:22:58 am »
Jeff,

Just tried this and it works fine, I didn't try it with DVD's (no time wife was wanting to watch something) but with video files, pressing 'play all' adds the files to the playlist and then hitting random plays them randomly.

If you do get stuck on the menu page of a DVD you could always change the way you 'handle' them.

jeffjohnvol

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 04:35:30 am »
TechStyle, thanks for trying it and letting me know.  I appreciate it!