Author Topic: DB suggestion.  (Read 4086 times)

soulhunter

• View Profile
DB suggestion.
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:26:49 pm »
Hi!

First: this looks like a really good project, I just found that it covers most of the integration of systems that I was looking for.... Thanks for it! and, I'll try to help, if I can (I use to be *really* busy....  :( ).

I'm new here, *very new*, I just came to the project page (looking for some nice integration of mythtv, and other stuff). and saw the new: "Rolling back source base"..... and well..... was really shocked.

I saw that you are thinking to move to Oracle XE?, I understand Oracle is good DB engine, but nevertheless: closed, and there are some limitations to Oracle XE (see http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/cunningham-database-xe.html ) the most worrying is lack of multi-cpu usage, ie, it will *not* run more than one function a a time, and limit in memory usage (1GB), furthermore, the limited disk space usage (4GB), I understand it is hard to get a DB above 4GB, that's why I name that last, but the CPU-thing: I don't like it... most systems have 2 or more cores nowadays. 

So, I was thinking, if you plan on moving to a "more solid database", why not give a try to PostgreSQL? I have found it *really* stable, and full of good features, so much, it is able to compete with Oracle (I had a couple of projects where the client was able to actually replace Oracle with PostgreSQL, and save a lot of $$$).

About the solaris thing: please don't.... really..... I hate solaris (I used it a lot back in college, high-performance computing lab, we ended up moving most systems to Linux, that was back on 1999 or so....)  I would prefer (Free/Open)BSD  :-\  (I'm *not* suggesting *BSD, I'm just making a comparison).

I hope this helps,

Ildefonso Camargo

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DB suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:37:59 am »
By the way, "gullible" is written on your ceiling.

soulhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:23:38 am »
By the way, "gullible" is written on your ceiling.

Thanks for the warm welcome!, if this is how you tread someone who is willing to help, maybe I should look to *any* other project, but this.

Thanks to people like you is that open source projects end up splitting or failing.

I just can't believe it.... can't you at least use an argument? you just go and insult me? come on! don't you have *any* tech skills to support your point? I gave my opinion on, what I believe, is an important choice to *any* project... furthermore, I based my point on official docs from the DB engine that was on the post.... what about you?  just a plain insult?

Sincerely,

Ildefonso Camargo

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:38:46 am »
Since the day is over, I'll be more direct...

....look at the date, and think about why an open source project would ever use an oracle product...

If you're still lost, this should do it...
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9904.0

soulhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 06:27:57 am »
Since the day is over, I'll be more direct...

....look at the date, and think about why an open source project would ever use an oracle product...

If you're still lost, this should do it...
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9904.0

Funny enough... I have seen cases, for example: Compiere ERP, yes, they *do* use Oracle.... recently, they added the choice of Oracle or Postgres Plus Advanced Sever, nevertheless: they started and "Open Source" project, using Oracle XE........ so, yes: I can believe that.  Also, I have seen a couple of clients paying hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on Oracle products, to do things that could be done just as good with PostgreSQL or even MySQL... some of them are obligated, by our country's law, to use "free software" (GPLed), nevertheless, they make any excuse to keep using Oracle (some of the decision-making people, just bought new car, some nice-n-expensive laptops, home theathers, shortly after signing this year's contract with Oracle... interesting, isn't it?).

The VAX thing is really cool, I will finally be able to put that damn thing in the garage to good use... and make my wife stop saying that I should trash it  ;)

In my country, we celebrate the "innocent's day" on Dec 28.

Sorry for being upset about it.... I hasn't had enough sleep this days :( .

Thanks!

Ildefonso Camargo

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 03:09:38 pm »
All good Ildefonso. Maybe you can help us in other ways. What are your skill-sets?

soulhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 09:37:57 pm »
All good Ildefonso. Maybe you can help us in other ways. What are your skill-sets?

Hi!

I completely fell for the joke...   ;D

Anyway, besides being easily fooled (  ;) ):

1. I'm an electronic engineer.  In this field: instrumentation (sensor conditioning), protocol implementation (I have implemented ModBus over serial line on microcontrollers, and the SHT11/15/71/75 sensors 1-wire protocol (non-standard)), power electronics (triacs, power mosfets, transformers and stuff), interfacing, some basic PLC (I like more to work with uC than PLC, but there is people who love PLCs, so...).
2. I have been working with network-related stuff for around 10 years or so.... firewalls, VPNs (OpenVPN mainly, but also IPSec), Linux-based servers (web, domain, LDAP, Proxy, VoIP (asterisk, basic), mail, most of this, integrated with LDAP).
3. I have done some programming projects, no big deal: PHP and perl (for clients and myself), and C / assembler (microcontrollers, Atmel's AVR, mainly), C on x86 (text-based things), unix shell scripting (bash).

That's pretty much it.  I have always wanted to implement some sort of  home automation for my house.... but never got the time, nor the money  :'( .......

If you need help on any of these fields, just ask, I may be able to help.....

Sincerely,

Ildefonso Camargo